Chapter 13

Hey guys! I'm writing a new book called "The Arena". I was wondering if I should either put Thomas Sangster, dylan o' Brien, or Max Davis in the story. Please comment below and tell me what your opinion is, thank you so much!

~ Thomas Sangster

~ Dylan O' Brien

~ Max Davis

Alby unbuttoned the collar, and wrapped it around Ben's neck. Ben finally looked up as tears glistened in his eyes. "alby, please." Ben pleaded. "I wasn't going to hurt them, I never would've killed them-- just lost my mind for a moment. please, Alby, please!"

Alby didn't respond. he walked past Ben and along the pole, lifting it up off the ground as he slid it's length through his palm and fingers. when he reached the end, he gripped it tightly and turned to face the crowd. Ben was trembling, crying, a roughly cut collar of old leather wrapped around his neck, attached to a long pole that stretched from him to Alby. "Ben of the builders, you've been sentenced to Banishment for the attempted murder of a Thomas the newbie as well as Megan the first girl here, and the greenie in a coma. The keepers have made their decision and you ain't coming back. Ever." A long pause. "keepers take your place on the Banishment pole."

Can this please be over. Just end.

One by one, boys were stepping out of the crowd and walking over to the long pole; they grabbed it with both hands, gripping it as if ready for a tug-of-war match. Newt was one of them as well as Minho. Winston also took a position. once all ten keepers were in place it grew silent. the only sounds were the muffled sobs of Ben.

Just end! I screamed to myself just be over.

"Please," Ben said, his rising in desperation. "plllleeeeeeeease! Somebody, help me! You can't do this to me!"

I took one step forward but Chase held his hand in front of me.

"Shut up!" Alby yelled from the back.

"Someone stop them! help me! Please!" Ben said looking at everyone, begging with his eyes. He then looked straight at me. "Please, Megan, help me, please . I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Just please help me." he begged. Newt immediately turned to me making a 'dont say anything' face. I glanced next to me to see Thomas step behind a taller guy. I turned back to Ben but looked away. "Keepers get ready." Alby said. "No, no, no, no, no," Ben said. "I swear I'll do anything! I swear I'll never do it again! plllleeeee--"

His cry was cut off by the rumbling of the east door beginning to close for the night. I don't if I can watch what was going to happen next.

"Keepers, now!" Alby shouted. Ben was jerked forward as the keepers pushed the pole towards the maze. "nooooo! please!" Ben screamed as he was tearing the collar with his hands. But the strength of the keepers was way too much, forcing the boy closer and closer to the edge of the glade. "nooooo!" he screamed again and again. he tried to plant his feet at the threshold but it only lasted a spit second; the pole sent him into the Maze with a lurch. Soon he was fully four feet outside the glade jerking his body from side to side trying to escape his collar. the walls were only seconds from sealing shut. with one last jerk, Ben was able to twist his neck in the circle of the leather so that he faced the gladers. "hold!" Alby shouted. Ben screamed without pause, a sound so piercing that I had to cover my ears. I used chase's shoulder to cover my eyes. Ben's final screams were cut off when the walls closed. I was surprised to feel a tear sliding down my cheek.

......

For the second night in a row, I went to bed with the image of Ben in my mind, torturing me. Was Ben's banishment somehow my fault.

The next morning, i was surprised to find myself still under the tree I slept under last night. I suddenly jerked up. the runners. The runners! I stood up so fast I felt dizzy in a split second. I then saw Newt walk towards me. "Oh my gosh! Newt! did Minho leave yet, don't tell Alby--" I started but was cut off by Newt. "Megan, Minho gave you the day off today. You don't have to get up right now." I immediately flopped right back on the ground. I watched as I saw Minho start to run towards the maze. "Thank you!!!" I yelled. Minho turned toward me and waved before he ran into the maze. "But we do have to test your memory." he said. "what do you mean?" I asked. "everybody does it once a year. you just have to sit in a chair and try to bring back memories, or tell us if you had any during the year." Newt explained but looked nervous about telling me about the test. "That sounds so exciting!" I said sarcastically putting my arms in the air. Newt walked closer to me and helped me up. "so when do I have to go?" "Umm... Actually right now" Newt said looking at his watch, which was similar to the one I had. "What?" I said.

......

The next thing I knew I was sitting in a chair in homestead. It was two people to a room, and of course I was with Gally. of all people. Newt and Alby was with me, so that's good. "ok, first you have to relax" Alby explained. I noticed that Newt looked really nervous. "Then we are going to inject your arm with anesthesia. it might hurt for a little bit but it will slowly fade away." Alby explained. I suddenly sat up. "What?! No, no, no, no, no. I thought we would just tell you if we got any memories." "Listen, we have to do this. to everyone." Alby said and walked over to a table. he then took two needles and filled them with a type of liquid. He handed one to Newt. He walked over me as Alby walked over to Gally. he moved the needle toward my arm but I quickly grabbed his hand. "Please don't do this." I mouthed to him. He looked at our hands, then hesitantly looked me in the eyes and whispered "it's ok, can you trust me." I hesitated but slowly let go. I winced as I felt the little sharp pain of the needle going into my arm. When Newt was done he handed Alby the empty needle. "Ok, as I said, your arms are going to get a little numb--" Alby said but was cut off by someone screaming in the room next to us. All if us turned in the direction of the screaming at the same time. panic was slowly taking over me. And from the expression on Gally's face, I wasn't the only one.

"Who is that?" Gally asked. "Some people get more pain than others" Alby explained. "what?!" I asked trying to sound calm but failed. i suddenly felt a sharp pain in my arm. "oww! What the hell! Are you sure that there was just anesthesia in the needle?" I asked. Alby looked at me but then left the room. "Where the hell are you--" I asked but was cut off by another extremely sharp pain. "oww! Oh my god! What the hell did you guys put in my arm!" I yelled. "Megan, the pain will go away soon if--" Newt started but was cut off by Gally, who was cursing from the pain. "Newt--" I started. Suddenly, Alby came in with another needle filled with another liquid. That was the last straw. I stood up to run out of the room but fell to the ground from another unbearable pain. "Holy shit!" I yelled. I felt Newt kneel down next to me and grab my hand. "Megan it's going to be over soon, I promise." Newt said squeezing my hand. I heard Gally start yelling in pain and I heard Alby trying to calm him down. The pain in my arm was getting worse. I yelled in pain. I felt Newt take me into his arms. I looked up at him. Please let me pass out I thought to myself it will make the pain go away. I squeezed my eyes closed and buried my face in Newt's shoulder. I tried to hold my arm but if I touched it, it would cause more pain. Suddenly as if my body heard me, I blacked out.