Love.

"What Is love to you?"

I was recently asked this by my 11 year old cousin, Shelby, and I sat there for a minute and really thought about my answer.

"Love is peeing while your on the phone with them." I thought that my response was reasonable.

About 2 weeks later she asked the same question. This time my answer changed.

"Love is sending ugly snapchats, and feeling like you're getting punched in the gut when you see them, and get butterflies when someone says their name. Love is when you're excited for their siblings birthdays, even if they have 7. Love is riding your bike to their house in the rain, even if you mess up your hair. Love is being able not to wear make up in front of them. Love is them calling you 3 times just to make sure that you got home safe. Love is meeting in the middle of your two houses then going to hangout. Love is touching, touching their fingers or palm or knee or tickling them even when they're crying of laughter already. Love is taping a note for that person on their front door, even though you know that more than 10 family members of theirs will probably read it. Love is using their nickname that no one calls them, except for you. Love is them giving you their favorite childhood stuffed animal. Love is the feeling when you describe them to someone. Love is when their family accepts you. Love is listening to music that they recommended. Love is so many things, that it's hard to explain. Love is ... ah I know. Love is this feeling that I have right now." I pointed to my chest.

Shelby looked at me and questioned "how come your answer changed?"

"That's what happened when I knew that I loved him. We were on the phone and we are best friends with each other and I heard running water and I asked him 'what's that?' And he replied with 'it's me peeing' and he said it like a question and I said back to him 'do you want to know what's weird?' He said 'what?' and I replied with ' I am too'. And we both just started laughing like crazy. And that's when I knew that I loved him."

"So then how did you come up with this answer?" she's just curious.

"Cause I've done it all. And he's been doing the same." And with that I started smiling uncontrollably.

Authors note: there really isn't a point to this and it's not a poem, but I just wanted to tell you guys the story.