02

Mason Maloney

Sam and I hadn't said anything to each other since Charlene left the two of us alone a few moments ago. I could tell by the look on his face that he was shocked to see me, knowing I was related to Nathan. I cleared my throat awkwardly and motioned for him to come behind the counter. Sam followed my instruction quickly.

"So I'm just going to show you the basics today," I told him, trying to alleviate the tension.

Sam nodded. "Sounds good."

His voice sounded different than I thought it would. It was deep yet calm and had a little bit of a rasp to it and I was sure he used it to charm people.

I motioned for Sam to follow me toward the kitchen and grabbed him an apron and a blank name tag.

"This is really all the uniform is," I said, handing him the apron.

I took a sharpie to write his name on the tag along with a little smiley face next to it. After I finished, I handed Sam the name tag to which he looked at and smirked.

"Cute," he commented with a teasing glint in his eye.

I ignored his comment, not knowing what to say.

"So you're Nathan's brother, right?" Sam asked, leaning against the counter, his long sleeves rolled up to his elbows.

I nodded. "Yeah, we're twins."

"I knew he had a twin brother, I just expected you two to look more alike," he responded thoughtfully.

"We're identical," I told him with a smirk.

Sam let out a chuckle. "Okay, you look alike in the face, but that's it."

"I get it, I'm short and scrawny," I replied, rolling my eyes.

"I wasn't going to say that," Sam told me.

Before I could say anything back, the bell on the door rang so I motioned for Sam to follow me to the front. An elderly lady with a young girl were in the shop, looking through the glass at the sweets.

"Need help with anything ladies?" I asked kindly.

The old woman smiled and turned to the girl, who appeared to be her granddaughter, to ask her what she wanted. The young girl whispered to her grandmother with a grin, showing off her missing tooth.

"We would like two apple fritters please," the woman told me kindly.

I turned to Sam to show him where the apple fritters were located. Everything was labeled on the shelves, so it shouldn't be too hard for him to figure it out.

"You have to take one of these papers to grab the product," I instructed, pulling out a thin piece of paper we used in the bakery and using it to put the two apple fritters in the bag.

I gave the bag to Sam while I walked over to the register to ring up the items

"You can find the exact item in the 'lookup' area on the register," I told Sam who nodded along to my directions. "Or you could just type in the item code if you know it."

I decided to just go through the lookup area to show him how to work it. After ringing up the items, the old woman paid and Sam handed her the bag of sweets.

"You'll learn the codes for things throughout your time here, I don't even know all of them," I said after the ladies left the store.

"How do you figure them out?" Sam asked thoughtfully.

"When you do inventory, the codes will be on the sheet and using them makes everything easier," I explained. "They also show up after you select the item in the lookup area."