31

Mason Maloney

"Holy fuck," Pete exclaimed as the five of us walked back to Ross's car. "I don't want to be anywhere near your house when Nathan gets home."

I didn't either, but I had no choice.

"I'm sure he won't ruin Thanksgiving over this," Hilary said with optimism.

"I wouldn't be so sure," Bella commented in a warning tone.

I knew Nathan wouldn't flip out when we had family over, but that didn't mean he wouldn't sulk and be miserable all night. His attitude would create an awkwardness because no one would know what to say to him. I just prayed nobody would bring up the game to him during dinner. It would be best if football stayed out of the conversation entirely.

My family was already at the house by the time Ross dropped off Hilary and me. I didn't speak to Ross at all on the ride home, not after he looked at me like he knew I was keeping a secret.

Mom and Celine were finishing up the food in the kitchen while Dad and Brandon were setting up the table and the kids sat in the living room, watching TV.

"Need any help?" I asked my mother as I walked into the kitchen.

She turned around and gave me a smile. "We should be all set. Dinner will be ready in a few minutes, but we have to wait for Nathan."

I nodded and turned on my heel to leave the kitchen, joining my cousins in the living room. I took a seat beside Hilary on the couch while Millie was on her other side and Scott was on the two-seater by himself.

"There were a lot of cute boys at the game," Millie commented to her sister.

Hilary rolled her eyes. "You're too young to think about boys."

"I am not!" Millie argued.

Hilary turned to me, her eyebrows raised. "Don't you think she's too young?"

I just shrugged, not wanting to get into it with them. One of the perks of having a brother was that there was no girl drama, so I never had to deal with this stuff.

"I'm not too young," Millie huffed, crossing her arms over her chest.

Before Hilary could say anything else, the front door opened and in walked Nathan. We silently watched him as he made his way into the living room with his red football bag slung on his shoulder. Nathan looked up from the floor to see our stares.

"Hey, guys," Nathan greeted our cousins with a smile and wave.

"Nathan!" Scott exclaimed, sitting up on the couch. "Can we play Madden?"

Nathan adjusted his bag on his shoulder. "Maybe after dinner."

Scott nodded and slouched on the couch again, turning his attention back to the TV.

"Nathan, don't you agree that Millie is too young for boys?" Hilary asked with a coy smile.

"Definitely," Nathan replied seriously as he walked by the couch, toward the stairs. "Boys are trouble, you should just stay away from them forever."

"Nathan!" Millie whined, throwing her head back in annoyance.

My brother chuckled before jogging up the stairs, presumably to throw his bag in his room. He had obviously already showered in the locker room since his hair was damp when he walked in.

Mom popped her head in the living room doorway. "Did Nathan just walk in?" she asked.

"Yeah, he just went upstairs," I said, turning to face her.