40

Mason Maloney

I didn't want to have to be hanging out with Bella and her friends before the football playoff game on Friday afternoon, but I was. Ross was out on a date with Liza, since he finally got the courage to ask her out, while I was stuck with Pete, Bella, and Bella's friends. Including Wendy, who wouldn't stop looking at me and trying to talk to me.

Every time I looked to Pete for help, he was too preoccupied flirting with another one of Bella's friends, Cami. All of my hopes that Pete would take Wendy off of my hands were lost when he seemed to have all of his attention on his interest in Cami.

"Mason," Wendy interrupted my thoughts, placing her manicured hand on my arm. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine," I answered quickly and blandly, shifting so her hand slipped from my arm.

All I wanted to do was pull out my phone and text Sam, but he was busy preparing for his own playoff game. If both Sam and Nathan won their games tonight, it would mean that the two of them would face each other in the state championship game for their division, so tonight was a big deal for both of them.

Wendy frowned when I distanced myself from her, but I couldn't find it in me to feel bad. It wasn't like I was leading her on. I had never given her any inclination to think I had reciprocated those feelings for her. After a while, I thought she would get the hint, but unfortunately she still hadn't.

"Do you want some fries?" Wendy asked me timidly, sliding her plate over to offer me some of her food.

"No, thanks," I replied, a forced smile on my lips.

I sent Pete another pleading look, but he was still too focused on Cami to pay attention to me. I cleared my throat and nudged Pete's arm with my elbow to get him to look at me. Pete turned from Cami to give me an annoyed look while I widened my eyes to plead with him to pay attention to me.

"Hey Wendy," Pete said, grabbing Wendy's attention away from me, "What book are you picking next for your book club?"

Wendy's face brightened up immediately and her eyes widened in delight while she animatedly discussed the book she had picked out, seemingly forgetting about me for the moment. Pete's distraction worked while the entire table seemed to be interested in what Wendy had to say about the book club. With everyone's eyes on her, I pulled out my phone to send Sam a quick text.

Good luck tonight, handsome

I was sure he wouldn't be able to get back to me until after the game, but I wanted to show him my support anyway. Playoff football around here was ten times more intense than in season football. The coaches worked their players practically to death to ensure their spot in the championship game. Sam already told me he would have to take next week off from work if his team made it to the championship because his coach would be extending practices everyday.

Excitement filled me as soon as I realized just how close the end of the football season was. In a week, there would be one winner, and Nathan and Sam would no longer be opponents (until college, that is). Once the season was over, I could be out openly dating Sam and I felt as though I couldn't wait any longer. I wouldn't have to hide my relationship from my friends and family and I wouldn't have to deal with getting hit on by Wendy anymore.

Next week really couldn't come any faster for me.

"Mase!" Pete yelled, nudging me hard in the back.

I rubbed the spot he hit. "What?"

"We're heading out, let's go," he told me, motioning his head toward the exit of the diner.