44

Mason Maloney

The next day at school wasn't really any better. Nathan hadn't said more than two words to me since the morning before and left me to fend for myself for a ride to work. Luckily, Ross offered to drive me to and from work. Another positive was that since Sam had advanced to the championship game, he was having extended practices so I wouldn't have to see him at work. I didn't think I would be able to face him again. I didn't know if I ever would be able to again.

The next day, close to the end of the school day, I was sitting in my history class. I zoned out, staring straight ahead at the board and tried not to focus on the incessant kicking on the back of my chair by one of the guys on the football team. A few Nathan's teammates were in my class and, usually, we would exchange pleasantries and not speak much after that. But ever since it was found out that I had been with Sam, they didn't try to hide their distaste.

"Maloney," the football player, Braeden, hissed, kicking my chair again.

I ignored him which only caused him to kick my chair again.

"Listen, Nathan wanted me to tell you he wants you to come to the locker room real quick after class," Braeden told me. I just nodded in response, letting him know that I heard what he said.

Soon after, the bell rang and I took my time gathering my things and standing up from my seat. Braeden and his two other friends stood behind me, waiting for me to follow them toward the locker room. I had no idea what Nathan wanted, but I was pretty desperate to get him to talk to me. I was still angry at him for the way he was acting, but I would much rather us be at odds with each other and still speaking than ignoring each other's existence.

Braeden and his friends followed me toward the locker room. I shoved the door open and was to confused to see that no one was there yet. I turned to face Braeden, and as I did, he shoved me down on to the floor. I should have known.

"Seriously?" I spat, looking up at the three football players standing over me with a hard scowl.

"Shut up," Braeden growled, kicking me in the stomach.

I hunched over in pain, letting out a groan. The pain was similar to when I had gotten beat up before, only this time I had emotional pain in me that undoubtedly felt worse.

"Nathan's going to be here any minute and you're going to beat the shit out of me?" I choked out in disbelief. There was no way Nathan knew about this. No matter how angry he was at me, I knew he would never let this happen.

Braeden shook his head with a sinister smile, crouching down to be at my eye level.

"Nathan won't be here, he spent last period with most of the team who had free period on the field," he explained.

Braeden stood up and kicked me again, eliciting a raspy groan and cough from my throat. Then he grabbed me by my shirt and shoved me roughly against the lockers. I swallowed a lump in my throat.

"Braeden maybe we shouldn't–" one of the worried looking football players started to say.

"Shut up," he spat in a reply. "He deserves what's coming to him."

I braced myself for the impact when I saw Braeden draw back his fist, but the punch never came. Braeden was roughly pulled away from me and I heard his body slam against the lockers across from me.

When I opened my eyes, I saw Nathan holding Braeden by the throat against the lockers. My eyes widened at the sight, but I stayed put. Tony and Rick stood off to the side, glaring at their other two teammates and stood as if they were blocking them from getting to me.