25

Sam Knight

The sound of my brother's voice calling out to me caused me to spring awake. I pulled myself from Mason and sat up in complete shock. Jonah stared at me with a look of confusion and embarrassment. My mouth parted, not knowing what to say.

"Um," I uttered, looking down at Mason who had pulled the covers over his head.

"I'll give you a minute," Jonah said, moving to leave my bedroom. "But I'd like to talk to you, Sam."

I nodded, not able to look him in the eye. Jonah left the room and tightly shut my door. As soon as he was gone, I buried my face in my hands and Mason threw the covers off, sitting up to stare at me.

"What the fuck," Mason said exasperatedly, looking stressed out as his hands held his head between them.

"I know," I muttered. "I have no idea what I'm going to say to him." I shook my head, looking down at the scrunched up blanket in my lap.

Mason brought his hand to mine, pulling it down from my face and into his lap. He rubbed his thumb on the top of my hand comfortingly. I looked down at our hands and then back up at his face.

"It'll be fine," Mason assured me. "It's embarrassing as fuck, but it'll be fine."

I laughed and nodded in agreement before looking toward the door and letting out a sigh.

"I should probably go talk to him," I said, getting up from the bed in search for my discarded clothes. Mason sat up, the blanket pooled over his hips.

I pulled on my boxers and some sweats along with the white t-shirt I was wearing the night before, then left the room to find Jonah downstairs at the kitchen table with two cups of coffee in front of him. Wordlessly, I sat down across from him and took a cup in my hands, the heat burning my skin.

"So," Jonah started, taking a sip of his coffee. "Is... is Mason the one you were talking about?"

"What?" I asked.

"When you said you like someone, you were talking about Mason, weren't you?" Jonah repeated. I didn't even notice myself start nodding until Jonah mirrored my action.

"I know it's weird–" I started.

Jonah shook his head. "It's not weird," he cut me off.

I gave him a look of disbelief.

"It's unexpected," Jonah said. "Not weird."

I thought for a moment before saying anything. I didn't know how I expected Jonah to react to seeing me with a guy and I didn't know how I felt about his reaction. He was obviously uncomfortable. I could tell by his stiff stature and the firm grip he had on his coffee cup, but his face was oddly calm and casual.

"So, are you two together?" Jonah asked, sounding genuinely interested.

I smiled slightly down at my coffee. "Yeah, I think so."

"You think so?"

"I asked him to be with me, but we haven't put a title on it," I explained, looking up at my brother.

Jonah nodded. "You don't need a title, being together is enough."

"Yeah, I guess so," I answered, taking a sip of coffee, the steaming liquid nearly burning my throat.

"I'm happy for you," Jonah said, surprising me.

"You are?" I asked, astonished.

Jonah let out a loud laugh, throwing his head back. "Of course, I'm happy for you! You make it sound like I've never been happy for you in my life."