12

Mason Maloney

Saturday morning at the bakery was busy. Luckily, Sam had arranged for Sandy to take his shift even though she would also be working in the afternoon. I didn't understand why she would work a double shift in exchange for some lousy dinner, but I didn't ask. Soon enough my shift was over and I was able to leave Sandy and her constant bragging about her date with Sam.

I lied on my bed, holding Pride and Prejudice above my head, completely immersed in the novel. I had already read it plenty of times, but I still couldn't get enough of it. I was so taken my the book that I didn't even realize someone had come into my room unannounced.

"Mason, get up," Bella demanded, ripping the book from my grasp and tossing it aside on the floor.

"What do you want?" I asked her, realizing Pete and Ross had walked in behind her.

"We're going out," she answered blandly.

"Where?" I asked, looking over at Ross. He just shrugged.

"We haven't thought that far ahead," Pete said with a solemn expression.

I heaved myself off of my bed, grabbing my book and placing it neatly on my bedside table. I stretched my arms high above my head, causing my taut back to crack refreshingly. I nodded toward the door and led my friends out of my room and down the stairs. Once we were outside, we made our way into Ross's car where Pete took the front seat.

"We should go to the mall," Bella suggested. "I need clothes."

"No," was Pete's instant reply. "I can barely tolerate you when you aren't shopping, it's worse when you are."

Bella instantly scowled at his words and crossed her arms over her chest.

"I'm going to have to agree with Pete," Ross said with a tight-lipped smile. "We aren't going to the mall."

Bella looked to as to get my opinion. I just shrugged, not wanting to get into it with her. Ever since I had found out about her and Sam, it was hard for me to interact with her. Nothing felt the same and it was even worse now that something had gone on with Sam and me. It almost felt like we were in some type of love triangle that she knew nothing about. Though, I knew that wasn't the case. Whatever it was between Sam and me was just based on physical attraction. I doubted he even wanted to do anything more with me than we had already done.

"We can go to the trampoline park," Pete suggested. "I need to get some energy out."

"You always need to get energy out," Bella retorted, rolling her eyes.

Without much more discussion, we decided to go along with Pete's suggestion. He was more than happy that we agreed and started doing a little dance in his seat, swaying side to side. I just laughed at my friend and shook my head fondly.

The park wasn't too far out of town and we were there in no time. Pete excitedly exited the car, barely waiting for Ross to park it.

"Pete!" Ross exclaimed in a chastising tone. "We talked about that! Do not open the door when the car is moving."

Pete just waved him off as he continued walking toward the building, the rest of us following him. Ross scoffed and sped up to reach him, slapping a hand on his shoulder when he did. I tried speeding up too so that I wouldn't have to be alone with Bella, but she decided to spark up a conversation with me.

"You would have rather gone shopping, right?" she asked with a light smile.

"Sure," I told her calmly, happy that she kept the conversation light. "Whatever you say."