The Girl I Left for Dead(15)

"What the hell?" I said aloud more to myself than anything. They sprinted, I was right behind Shane.

"Why do your people have guns?" I heard Hershel ask.

"You see? You see what these people are holding onto?" Shane yelled.

"Katie back up," I commanded her, she stood behind me.

"Did you know about the walkers in the barn?" I asked she shook her head no.

"You know they're dangerous right?" I asked softly. She nodded.

"I see who I'm holding onto!" Hershel retorted.

"Shane just let it go!" Rick commanded trying to keep hold of the walker and stay calm, "Let us finish this then we can talk!"

"Wow," Daryl muttered.

"They don't understand that they're dangerous yet," I told him.

"Well, they better figure it out quick," Daryl replied.

"I have a feeling this is going to end badly," I said softly. Daryl kept his gun aimed on one of the walkers ready to shoot if necessary.

"At least it will be dealt with," He responded.

"What's there left to talk about Rick?" Shane yelled walking in big circles, "These things ain't sick! They're not people! They're dead! Ain't gotta feel nothin' for em! Cause all these things do is kill! They kill! These things right here!" He yelled pointing at them, "They killed Amy! They killed Otis! They're gonna kill all of us!"

"Shane stop!" Rick yelled.

"Hey Hershel, let me ask you somethin, can a living breathing person-" He started taking a hand gun out of his belt, "Could they walk away from this?" He asked firing 3 rounds into it's chest, it continued snarling. Unphased.

Some people ducked for cover, some yelled.

"Katie, go stand with Lori, Carl, and Mason," I commanded.

"Shane, stop it!" I yelled at him.

"Thats 3 rounds to the chest, could someone alive just take that?" Shane asked out loud before firing a few more rounds into the female walker.

"That's it heart, it's lungs, why is it still comin?" Shane yelled. He shot some more rounds into it.

"Shane stop, that's enough!" Rick growled.

"Yeah, yer right man, that is enough," He responded stalking towards the walker and shooting in the head, putting it out of it's misery. The walker fell to the ground, along with Hershel. Rick was still holding onto the male walker.

"Enough riskin out lives for a little girl who's gone, enough living next to a barn of walkers," Shane chanted as Carol put a hand over her mouth, "ENOUGH! It ain't like it was before. If you wanna live! If you wanna survive! You gotta fight for it!" He yelled running toward the barn.

"Take the catch pole! Hershel!" Rick commanded, but the old man was sitting on his knees staring at the dead female walker. Shane started breaking his way into the barn, everyone was yelling at him to stop, Daryl aimed his gun at the walker on the catch pole. I aimed mine towards the barn. He was hitting the locks with a pick axe.

"Shane stop!" I screamed at him along with a few others. Shane removed the board and the locks were free. Katie was behind Lori along with Carl and Mason. I aimed my gun at the barn as Shane backed waiting for the walkers.

"You're fucking stupid," I snarled at him keeping my eyes fixed to the barn doors that were slowly opening.

"I don't remember doing what's right being stupid," He retorted, I scoffed as the walkers were released, there were a lot of them pouring out. Most of us were shooting the walkers down as they walked out of the barn. Others were standing in shock. I fired multiple rounds usually taking one bullet to kill them, but sometimes it took 2 if my aim was off. Even Theo came over and started shooting at them. It took him about 3 or 4 bullets a walker, he never was good at shooting.

I turned to Rick and shot the walker on the pole, he began shouting at us to stop shooting. None of us did. Hershel and his people were crying. After a few minutes.... That felt like forever Daryl shot the last walker down. It was silent and most people were out of breath. Katie ran over to me and held onto my hand.

It stayed quiet as we all looked at the bodies in front of us. Dale came walking down to us, I didn't know where he was before. Beth and Jimmy were hugging as tears streamed out of their eyes. Then we heard a soft growling, it was only one, but we had to wait for it to walk out the doors. Daryl raised his gun as the walker came out.

The wal-Sophia..... She took a step out and began reaching forward soft growls escaping her throat.

"No," I said softly as tears sprung into my eyes. Everyone stood in shock.

"Sophia? Sophia!" Carol cried as she ran forward, Daryl dropped his gun and caught Carol before she could get too far.

Carol continued crying Sophia's name, Carl broke into hysterics. Rick had tears streaming from his eyes.

"I got it," I muttered taking the handgun away from him gently. I walked towards Sophia. She snarled and took a few more steps toward me.

"I'm sorry, I tried to find you, I really did... I'm sorry I didn't get to you sooner," I whispered before putting the gun barrel to her temple. Everything felt like it was in slow motion at that point. It didn't feel real, I didn't feel like I was controlling my body. This was just some awful nightmare. I felt her hands touch my wrist as I squeezed the trigger, she fell to the ground in front of me. It was a nightmare, it's called Earth. The place I'd be raising my daughter in.

I felt numb at that point, no tears fell, I stared down at her. It was my fault she was dead, I should've spent more time looking for her. I should've followed Rick the second I knew she left. I should'v-

"Mom?" Katie asked softly behind me, I didn't respond, I continued staring down at Sophia. It is my fault she's dead, I even put the final bullet in her head.

"I'm sorry," I whispered softly down to the body. Theo put a hand on my shoulder, I knew it was him because of how tightly he held my shoulder, I didn't move though. I just stared at the girl I left for dead..................................................

Short chapter soooo yeah. I'm doing my best, votes? Opinions?