Setting Folk Straight

Jaeger:

I was glad things were working out with Paul's mother.  It was a shame they lost so much time over who he chose to love.  His sister came around a lot faster than his brother but he was trying.  He told them about our decision to have a commitment ceremony in lieu of a wedding and they were ecstatic.  We decided to do it in April in a garden when the flowers were in bloom.

With two of the three families on board, we broke the news to Candon's family.  Wish I could say they were a piece of cake.  Those people.  They had stock in the salt industry and threw shade for days.  Not only were they vehemently opposed they viciously set out to sabotage our relationship.  

One night I finished my work and made my way up to the top floor where Candon's office was. It was near seven and most of the staff was gone. Paul was with a study group working on their final theses so I thought Candon and I would go to dinner then home. I walked up to his door and started to pull on the handle when I heard heated voices.

"When will you learn you are above them?! Let them go."

"I won't. They are my boyfriends and I love them."

"How can you be okay with a faggot and a black thug?"

I felt myself going zero to a hundred. He was acting like he didn't know my family.  How the fuck was I a thug!?  I shut my eyes and started counting. Candon was quiet a moment.

"What is your real problem with Jaeger and Paul?"

"One's a fairy and the other's a hoodrat."

Candon laughed. It wasn't his light playful 'ha-ha that's funny laugh.' It was that 'you must be fucking kidding me' laugh. The one he gets before he gets pissed. 

"Jay is from the suburbs. You know, the same neighborhood down the street from us. And if you haven't noticed, Paul is extremely masculine looking. He has muscles and shit. Unless you knew him, you'd not guess he was gay."

"They're bad for your image."

"Your homophobia and racism are bad for my image."

"Why can't you just choose one of these girls and settle down? They come from money, good families of influence and power, and won't cause scandal."

"I'm gay. I'm in a committed relationship."

"You have two boyfriends! That's not committed!"

"Monogamy isn't the only type of committed relationship."

I jumped as someone slammed their fist on the table.

"Candon, listen to me and stop this foolishness!"

"I think it's time for you to go now."

"Dad would roll over in his grave."

I covered my mouth and stepped back. That was a low blow. Candon's father loved me and Paul. He loved Candon and respected his choices. If it wasn't for his father's insistence, Candon would never have taken over the company. Candon loved his father to pieces and was devastated when he died.

"You have exactly ten seconds to turn around and walk out that door before I forget you're my father's child."

Oh shit.  I recognized that tone.  Things were going to get ugly real fast.

"Can-"

"One."

I took a deep breath. If I didn't go in there he'd beat the hell out of whichever of his half siblings this was. I knocked on the door.

"Go away!"  Candon shouted.  "Six."

I opened the door and poked my head in with a smile as if I hadn't heard the exchange.  The tension was so thick it was suffocating.

"Don't be moody, honey pie. It's quittin' time. Let's get dinner."

He had his jacket off and his sleeves rolled up to the elbows. I have no idea where the tie went but the top buttons on his shirt were undone. He was ready to kick ass.

His eyes were dark and his body tense.  "Jay, go home without me."

"Hi, Jeff," I said cheerfully ignoring my raging bull of a fiancé. He'd stopped counting so that was a plus. Surly ass Jeff looked at me with dull brown eyes.

"Jaeger." My name rolled off his tongue as if he'd just licked a slice of lemon.

I couldn't understand Candon's family. His dad was an amazing man. He was a few inches shorter than Candon but they had the same bulky, muscular build. He had sparkling green eyes and a blinding smile. He loved people. He built his company from the ground up and had dreams his family would run it together. He wanted to be the next Hilton without scandals.

Unfortunately, he remarried a woman who was money and power hungry and valued image over loving relationships. She spent money like it was water and stepped on anyone she thought was beneath her. Her sons were younger than Candon but inherited her nasty disposition and thirst. He had a half sibling that was more tolerable but only because she was still a teen and had been daddy's little girl.

I walked over to Candon and grabbed his clenched fist in my hand. I ran my thumb soothingly over the back of his hand and smiled at him. "Finish tomorrow. Let's go to dinner then watch a movie with baby blue eyes."

His hand relaxed in mine and he kissed my forehead. He nodded. "Okay." I let his hand go so he could gather his things then sauntered over to Jeff.

"So, Jeff. How's the wife search going? Find someone who isn't a golddigging whore yet?"

His eyes narrowed.  He had a horrible track record with women.  They were all gold diggers and ladder climbers  or empty headed heiresses who couldn't tie their own shoes.  

I smiled enjoying ruffling his feathers.  That's what you get messing with my man and calling us out of our names.  "Don't worry, big guy. I'm sure you'll find one soon. Word of advice, leave the models and socialites alone."

He made a threatening step towards me. The door popped open before Candon could move. The guard I had in Mexico smiled brightly.

"Jay, the car's ready."

I smiled. "Thank you, Quinn." Don't ask me how they do it, but Quinn or Redd always seem to pop up at the right moments.  I don't know where Candon found this security company but they were goooood.

Candon took my hand and we began walking out.  Quinn stepped forward as Jeff grabbed Candon's bicep.

"This isn't over, Can."

Candon gave him a murderous glare then snatched his arm away.  "No.  I think we're done with this.  If you continue to pursue this, I'll start taking legal action."

If looks could kill I'd be dead, buried, and my soul sent to hell.  That boy was heated!

Candon paused when we got to the door.  "Oh.  And I advise you to stay away from Jaeger as well."

Because I too can be petty as fuck, I couldn't stop the Grinch smile that crossed my lips as I left with a parting shot.  "Goodnight, soon to be brother-in-law."   

*Shout outs to all the readers.  Thanks for the reads/adds/follows/comments/votes.