Chapter 9

(Connors P.O.V)
I ran as fast as I could behind the deviant, jumping over a metal cabinet and rushing outside onto a roof.

He jumped off of this roof and onto a farm field below, I jumped off too not wanting to lose sight of it. I jumped up onto some containers and leaped over the wall, onto another field. I then ran up some more containers along with hay bales and jumped over a large gap onto the next building.

I pushed past two people and ran through the greenhouse, jumping over another cabinet and avoiding crashing into people. I rushed out of the greenhouse and slid down a small roof and jumped into the next building through a hole in the wall.

I followed it through the next building, ran up some stairs and smacked into the now closed door. I looked to my right and saw another field filled with flowers. I sprinted through, jumped onto a farming machine and pulled myself up onto the wall behind it.

I jumped over the next wall and slid down the steep roof, changing direction when needed. I jumped onto a train speeding by with ease, then quickly jumped to the ladder on the opposite wall.

I ran through a field filled with trees, and up onto another wall. I rushed into another crowded area, hoping over rows of plants and pushing past people.

I followed it into a cornfield, holding my arm up so the corn wouldn't be in the way.

(Y/N P.O.V)
Hank and I ran, trying to keep up with Connor, which soon proved to be impossible. We eventually found a way up onto a roof that had a cornfield on it. Hank and I had watched Connor from afar, I was terrified he was going to get himself killed.

"They must be coming this way, there's really nowhere else," I said as I paced back and forth. Hank stood with his arms crossed.

Suddenly, the deviant burst through the cornfield, running right at us.

"STOP RIGHT THERE!" Hank yelled and went to grab him.

The deviant swiftly pushed Hank, causing him to fall off the roof. He glared at me before taking off running again.

"Hank! Hold on!" I grabbed his arm and tried to pull him up.

"Not much else I can do" I wanted to slap him for being sarcastic at a time like this.

Another person burst through the cornfield, I turned for a brief second and noticed it was Connor.

"Connor! Help me pull Hank up!" I kept a grip on his arm, desperately trying to pull him up. I never realized how heavy he was.

Footsteps ran up behind me, and before long, Hank had two feet back on the ground.

"Shit! OH SHIT! Fuck!" He yelled out in anger.

"Calm down, Hank! You're okay now" before I realized what I was doing, I had my arms around him in a hug.

He froze up for a minute before hugging me back. I smiled as I pulled away from the hug, a small smile was also on Hanks' face, it almost looked like a sad smile.

"It's my fault," Connor said from behind us.

I turned to look at him while raising an eyebrow.

"How is it your fault? You tried your best"

"I should have been faster"

"Connor, you chased that deviant through fields and roofs. Hell, you jumped onto a moving train. There wasn't anything else you could've done" I walked towards him as I spoke.

"Besides, you made the right decision" I gestured to Hank who was dusting himself off.

Connor looked down at me, his eyes staring right into mine.