chapter 31

"Alright class, today we are going to start presentations for our sculptures," the art teacher announced, hushing the class into silence.

My stomach instantly lurched in anxiety at having to speak in front of people. I prayed in my mind that his eyes would skim over mine and Bitna's name to pick another couple of unfortunate souls.

"And we are going to start off with Yugyeom and Jia. Bring your project to the front and explain it to the class," he said, and I exhaled a sigh of relief and leaned back into my seat.

Yugyeom was already out of his seat with the same unwavering happiness in his expression, however, his partner did not.

Jia looked as if she was on the line between anxiety; she was taking her time to move and help Yugyeom with the sculpture, and her cheeks were becoming brighter.

But she was smiling, smiling so much that her teeth were visible and her eyes were crinkled in her gaiety.

She looks nice when she smiles like that.

I instantly shook my head at myself, but the blood flooding my face was faster than me. I covered the burning skin with my hands to keep it hidden, and instead focused on Yugyeom and the sculpture.

"Hi class," he said, waving his hands at everyone. Some people waved back and some of them giggled in response.

"So I'm Yugyeom and this is my partner Jia," he introduced, pointing his hands in Jia's direction as she also waved at everyone timidly.

Her eyes swept across the class until they met mine.

My heart lurched when I saw that her smile and eyes became larger, and although she only looked at me for a few seconds, I had to look away from her.

I couldn't have my face becoming brighter than what it already was.

"Today, we are going to show you all the project we created together," he stated and gestured for Jia to begin talking.

"Okay, so basically," Jia started, "We chose to do a bridge for our project because its purpose is to take people and things from one place to another. It is sort of a symbol of transition as well, when life transforms from one thing to another. I thought it would be a good sculpture as we go from winter to spring."

She instantly gave a satisfied sigh when she finished her explanation, causing some classmates to laugh at her nervousness. However, I was simply staring at her, slightly awed by her deep explanation.

I would have never thought of something like that.

"We based our bridge's design off of a typical anime bridge that you see in park scenes. This one, in particular, was based off the one in Spirited Away, which is the bridge leading to the bathhouse if any of you guys can remember," Yugyeom said, and a collection of 'oh's' filled the air of the classroom.

"Well Yugyeom and Jia, your project is very nice. Do you two have a title for it?" the teacher asked, and both Jia and Yugyeom swiftly turned toward each other, their eyes widening in a silent revelation.

"Oh, uh," Yugyeom stammered, chuckling out of his own fluster. His face was starting to become darker until his partner intervened.

"The title is Spirit Crossing," Jia said quickly, and the teacher directed his eyes at her.

"Spirit Crossing? And why did you pick that name?"

"Uh, because of the connection to the movie with the spirits traveling across the bridge and my definition of transition with bridges," she said, and the teacher nodded at her.

"Okay. Good job. You may put your project in the back of the class," the teacher said, and both of them quickly bowed towards us and received a round of applause.

"Alright, the next group is Jaeil and Hyunwoo, so prepare as I finish taking notes," the teacher announced, and the two boys got up to put their project up front, which was a bench.

As they set up, I glimpsed over at my friends and saw that Yugyeom was talking and still smiling at Jia.

But,

his fingers were interwoven with hers. 

A/N: THEY FINALLY DID THEIR DAMN PROJECTS. i put the bridge they did for reference.

+ but yugyeom what you doing there- 

jia what are YOU doing-

but the real question is,

WHAT I AM DOING?

i'm gonna fck up your mind. just wait and see. 

++ this is the last september double update week sadly :(. but don't worry bc there will be more. i promise.