chapter 45

"Guys, I have something to confess," Yugyeom said as he sat down at the lunch table. Jaehyun and Mingyu picked up their heads in interest, putting down their chopsticks to give him their attention.

I already suspected what he was about to say, so I started to eat my rice and tried to ignore whatever nonsense Yugyeom was about to say.

"I think our boy Jungkookie," Yugyeom said, poking me in the side, "is in love."

I took a gasp at his words, ready to retaliate, but the grains of rice I was eating got lodged inside of my throat. I spluttered, hitting my chest in an attempt to get the tiny grains out and eventually having to drink half a bottle of water to calm myself down.

Mingyu and Jaehyung were looking at me, smiles painting their faces as they waited for me to explain myself. I took a quick glare at Yugyeom before sighing and running a hand through my hair.

"I am not in love, first of all," I said, "So get your head out of the clouds."

"Sure," Yugyeom said, that stupid grin of his making an appearance. He picked at his food with his chopsticks, a giggle leaving his lips as he said, "You can continue."

"Second," I said, exhaling sharply through my nose, "I can't be in love. It's, it's like impossible at this stage."

"Ppft," Yugyeom scoffed, rolling his eyes before looking at me with a pathetic expression. "You are the most pessimistic and oblivious person to feelings that I have ever met, Jungkookie."

"So what?" I said, shrugging my shoulders, "Is it bad to be realistic?"

"It's not bad to be realistic, it's just that fact that you aren't being your so-called realistic right now," Yugyeom said, placing his palm underneath his chin. "Think about it. You-"

"I've done a lot of thinking, thank you very much," I interrupted. I've done enough thinking about my feelings and her to make my head spiral out of control like a spinning top.

"I'm not saying that I don't like her. I don't even think I can deny that anymore," I murmured, but it was useless to do so around the teasing boys beside me.

"It's just that-I don't know, I don't think I've reached the level of love yet. It seems too intense," I confessed, looking down at my lunch tray.

"Well, of course you haven't reached love yet," Jaehyun said, my head turning up to see his soft smile, the corners of his eyes crinkling lightly. "You just realized you like her. It will take awhile for you to know that you love her, just like it took you some time to realize you like her. It's all a process."

"But that doesn't mean we don't get to tease you about it," Mingyu added, throwing up two finger hearts and combining both of them to an even bigger heart, shaking it at me. I scoffed and rolled my eyes playfully at him, but looked back to Jaehyun and nodded.

"Thank you. I guess that makes sense," I said, and Jaehyun's smile grew up his face, hinting a smirk.

"Of course it did. I am the wise one out of all of you," he said, winking at me before continuing to eat his food. Mingyu rolled his eyes, and murmured, "Says the one that was in last place for English."

"Yah!" Jaehyun said, shoving Mingyu a little bit, the latter giggling at the reaction. I chuckled a bit under my breath, just like Yugyeom beside me.

"I was not last, okay? I was third to last," Jaehyun corrected, but that only made Mingyu laugh even more, his fist hitting the table.

"You're, you're saying that as if that m-makes any better," he said, trying to catch his breath, "Almost last still sucks."

"Well, we can't all be geniuses like Jia," Jaehyun muttered, "I don't know how she manages to always be at the top for basically everything."