chapter 39

She wasn't there on Friday.

If I didn't know any better, I could have thought that the day before was a simple dream.

Her curled sangria hair, her raven eyes, her aura of things I had yet to know of was all of my imagination, and if I tried hard enough the things that I had realized about myself wasn't the truth.

But it was.

And all throughout the day, whispers of her name floated in the classrooms and hallways like a spirit were wandering, trying to find a place to stay. A bundle of curiosity was unleashed onto our class, and people began to come up with theories and explanations to what she was up to, what she was doing, why she was ill so often, and why she missed days so randomly.

All of sudden, everyone wanted to know about her.

It was as if they couldn't believe it, either.

"Hey, what is up with this girl?" Yugyeom asked at lunch, "She came into school one day looking completely different, and the next day she's gone. I don't understand her."

"I don't understand her either. I think no one does," I said, "She didn't mention it when I texted her. It was like everything was normal."

"Speaking of that, she didn't mention she was going to dye her hair either," Yugyeom commented, and that realization hit me suddenly.

She's being so spontaneous . . .

Why?

"I don't want to assume things, but I think something is happening," Yugyeom said, and I nodded my head in agreement.

"But what?"

"I don't know," he said and shrugged his shoulders. "It could literally be anything with her."

A cloud of thoughts and contemplation hovered over our table for a few seconds, before another idea was brought up.

"Didn't you say that she had like a secret boyfriend or something?" Jaehyun said.

"Well, we don't know that for sure-"

"Yeah, the dude Sangchul," Yugyeom interrupted, "You have an idea?"

"What if something happened with them? Like they broke up or something?" Jaehyun continued, and an emotion flared up inside the pits of my stomach.

"I doubt that. She would be sadder if that was the case," I stated, "And besides, we don't know anything about their relationship."

I leaned back into my chair, and as the other three continued to talk, I slowly began to detach myself from the conversation.

I don't know what's happening anymore.

What's going with Jia, what's going on with Sangchul, my feelings for her . . .

None of it.

And it's starting to drive me crazy.

I feel like I'm an in a big spiral, and the more time I spend in it,

the more it drags me to its center.

If only I knew-

"Yah, Jungkook, lunch is over," A voice said, and a couple of fingers were snapping in my face, breaking me out of my thoughts.

It was Yugyeom, and he was standing over me with a quizzical look on his face. His bangs hid his rising eyebrows as he scanned me over slowly before snapping his head back up.

"What?"

"What's up with you? Daydreaming about your love?" he said, and a mischievous smile spread across his face like butter on a hot pan.

"Shut the hell up," I said, getting up and clearing my tray of the leftover food, "I was just thinking."

"Sure," he said, and rolled his eyes at me, "Thinking requires you to-"

"Hey, Jungkook," someone said from behind me, and a few taps on my shoulder made me stand up straight in surprise.

Hana.

The girl I had thought sent the first note was standing in front of me, her facial expressions straight but her posture was slumped, wearing a large hoodie and her hair tied loosely behind her.

"Ah, Hana, you were just the person we were looking for," Yugyeom said, suddenly throwing his arm over my shoulder, "Do you know what's up with Jia?"

Her face, which was plain before, morphed into something more solemn when Yugyeom spoke.

"I was about to ask you about her. I was texting her, well, trying to text her, but it kept saying that my messages have been blocked."

What?

"So, I was wondering if you guys could try texting her to see if my phone is just being weird," she said, and I could see that her phone was clutched in her hand, her fist tight around it.

"Of course," Yugyeom responded, removing his arm from around me to fish his phone out of his pocket, and I did that same.

But when I went into the app, I noticed a change.

Her icon was black.

And, all the information that was present beforehand had vanished from her account.

It was empty.

An unfamiliar feeling gnawed at my brain as soon as I saw the change, and I guess Yugyeom noticed it at the same time.

"What the hell? Is she renovating her account or something?" he commented and started typing things furiously onto his screen.

I, on the other hand, pondered on what to write to her.

Hey Jia, what's going on?

Hey Jia, what's |

Hey Ji|

|

Jia, why didn't you come to school today?

But I didn't have to.

메시지가 차단되었습니다.            

A/N: "메시지가 차단되었습니다" - message blocked

oof we're only a chapter away from the ending. istg if y'all are confused i promise that things will (most likely) start to make sense later on in part 2. 

can't wait to be a heartbreaker! see ya!

+ have a wonderful day/night