chapter 35

Three days.

When I walked into class the following Monday, I didn't know what to expect.

But when I saw Jia at her desk, looking like she normally did, an instant rush of relief filled my brain from all of the worries that had occupied it earlier.

And then questions began to file in, starting to override the thoughts in my brain until it became the only thing I was thinking about.

Why didn't she text me back?

Did she lose her phone?

Did she get in trouble?

"Hey, Jungkook," Yugyeom asked, trying to get my attention.

"Huh?" I said, my shoulders jumping up a bit as I turned my head towards him.

"Did Jia ever text you back?" he asked, and I shook my head in response.

"She's here today though, which is a little strange," I said, my mind still trying to figure out an answer to her absence.

She would usually text me back during the night or early morning, but ever since the last Thursday, every time I sent her a message, it would be stuck on sent.

And it stayed like that on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

At first, I thought that the no reply on Thursday was just a cause of her being tired, but as it continued my curiosity grew larger, as it was the unusual for her to not respond longer than a day.

"Maybe she just got her phone taken away," Yugyeom said, shrugging his shoulders. "She stays up pretty late all the time."

"True, but so does everyone else," I replied, taking out my textbooks, "People study for hours and do homework late too."

"But she's a really good student. She studies more than other people," he said, and I nodded my head at his statement.

And with that we were absorbed into English class, learning different phrases and how to say them.

Once the teacher let us off to complete our work, my mind continued to swirl around the possibilities behind Jia.

I didn't know why I was so intrigued about her disappearance. We were just friends, and friends don't have to know everything about each other. Otherwise, I'll just be invading her privacy as I did before.

But the harder I tried to just forget about it, the more it consumed the back of my mind, until trying to concentrate on writing English letters became nearly impossible.

Why am I thinking about it so much?

It's not a big deal.

I can ask her anytime that I want.

Even so, a couple of times I caught myself looking at her during class, just to see if there was something different about her appearance.

Maybe she got sick again.

But when I looked over, a sight that was quite interesting, to say the least, greeted my eyes.

Jia's elbow was propped up on the desk, her hand keeping her falling chin up. Her elbow was sliding across the desk, and it seemed like she wasn't doing it on purpose.

And when I saw her eyes, I could understand why.

Her eyelids were fluttering open and shut like a butterfly's wings, and her pupils were dancing wildly around in her eyes in an effort to keep them open.

Her head swayed from going towards the desk to detracting from the desk as if she was in a possessive trance.

A laugh had started to rise from my lungs the more I saw her struggle with trying to stay awake. It was even funnier as she didn't notice that I was looking at her.

Not that I wanted her to, anyway.

But all the sudden, her body jerked up and her eyes became wide open. Her back transformed from a wilting flower to a rigid tree in a matter of seconds, and her arms laid on top of her desk, her hands trying to grasp the pencil again.

And for a fraction of a moment, she looked in my direction before looking back down into her book.

And once a red that was all too familiar to me hinted itself on her cheeks, I realized why.

She saw me looking at her.

Waves of embarrassment came over me like a rushing tsunami, and I immediately looked away from her, only to be greeted with Yugyeom's smirk.

My shoulders jumped up and I placed my hand on my face, trying to regain myself and lose the color in my cheeks.

"Yugyeom, why the hell are you looking at me like that?" I whispered, removing my hand and pretending to be immersed in the work.

"Because you're terrible at checking out people, that's why," he responded, snickering quietly as my face blossomed into rose once again.

"I wasn't checking her out! She was falling asleep and it was cu-funny," I whispered, my voice getting especially low on the last words. I looked back down at my textbook, hoping that he didn't catch my slip.

"Yeah, sure. Just don't do it for so long next time," he said, and a final chuckle left his lips before he concentrated back onto his work.

I did a silent sigh of relief in my mind, my shoulders dropping from the stress of him not catching my lapse of words.

I can't believe I almost said that out loud.

He would have never let it go.

Shaking my head of the things that could have happened, I continued to do my work until the end of the class.

Once our break started, Yugyeom immediately changed his posture so that his body is faced mine, and a new smile was present on top his face.

I could already feel the teasing that was about to erupt from his mouth until I saw his eyebrow arch suddenly and a shadow appeared over my desk.

I turned my head and saw that Jia was standing there, her hands pressed on the edges of my desk as she leaned on it. Her hair loosely tied into a ponytail, the usual strands hanging near her face.

And that's when I noticed there was something different.

Underneath her blank eyes, there were dark lines starting from the corner of her eyes and spreading outwards, as if someone had cast a shadow.

But before I could even conjure up something to say, she moved her hands off of the desk and walked away.

And something new was on it.

She left a piece of paper, folded in two on top of my desk, which brought me back to the first note that she left on my desk three weeks earlier.

"Are you going to keep staring at it? Open it," Yugyeom said, his voice taking me out my memories.

I reached out and unfolded the note that she left.

sorry i didn't reply to you.

i'll text you later why.

- ivy

A/N: another long chapter again hehehe idk do y'all like it like this or nah?

+ hehehe so close to chapter 40

man, y'all not even ready for part 2 of this. if y'all thought this was a rollercoaster then y'all better cement your scalps to your head and buckle up. 

safety first, kids ;)

(idk why i'm being so cocky for just bare with me and my shitty writing)

++ have a wonderful day/night.