Chapter 14

I sit staring at the screen biting my lip. Waiting for the scores to be announced Finnick agreed we would train this morning and that's exactly what we did. Grueling and exhausting training that left me barely being able to walk. Finnick had to practically carry me to my room. Ignoring my pleas to let me lay on the training center floor to suffer in peace. I think I remember hearing him laugh and mutter about me being over dramatic but could barely even function I was so exhausted. After sharing lunch with me he left for another evening of business. He told me he was proud of me and not to be nervous about scores. He hugged me getting a tense surprised response in return. He kissed Mags on the forehead and then leaves us. Things are pretty calm through dinner while Randy asks to go watch the scores with the Careers. He excuses himself after dinner leaving Jasabell, Mags, Valentine and I to watch the scores.
The announcers come on the Television welcoming us to the Tribute scoring for the 69th annual hunger games. I feel Mags and Valentine hold either of my hands as they announce each score.
Lavender the large girl from district 1 gets a 9. While her tribute partner Ross gets an 8.
Austra the attractive girl from 2 gets a 7 while her district partner Kale gets a 10.
The girl from 3 gets a 4. While Alexander's face pops up Mags grips my hand comfortingly as he gets a 7.
My face pops up I can't help but notice how innocent I look as my score is seen on the screen I feel myself wrapped in two pairs of arms. I Karaline Mathis, scored a 9. I can't understand how I managed it I expected at most a 7. This is way more then I could ever imagine.
Then Randy's face flashed on the screen a score of 7 follows making us nod still excited that both of us got rather high scores.
Most scores rage between 3-6 the only ones that stick out to me are.
Creep boys side kick with a 7. Lover boy from district 7 gets a 7 while his muse gets a 6. And finally Hazel gets a score of a 10 making me smile.
We all sit there and talk about the scores for a few hours everyone seeming thrilled. Except a very angry looking Randy who storms to his room slamming the door.Below 6 is below average. 7-8 are average. While anything above 8 is above average.
"Mags I don't understand how I got a 9." I tell her honestly.
"You used multiple weapons while a safe option would be using one very strong weapon of yours and try to sell it. You used 3. You naming where they are going to land shows accuracy and shows your confidence. If you don't call where the axe is going to go throw it at the chest and hit it in the stomach who are they to know any better?" She explains excitement and pride shines in her eyes.
"And I think on top of that your age could have been a small contributor. You being so skilled and potentially deadly at such a young age is something I don't think they expected or have experienced before Kara." She adds taking me into a tight hug.
"I'm going bed little flower. Let me know if you need anything." Mags tells me.
"I will." She leaves me in the living area I curl on the couch and think about my day ahead of me tomorrow. I can't wait for Fin to come back I feel so happy like I'm finally able to make him proud. My mind races with excitement before slowing down and allowing sleep to come.

I feel someone shaking my sleeping body.
"Kara." A very soft voice calls.
My eyes sting as I open them making me rub them softly. My eyes attempting to adjust to the darkness in the room.
I take in my surroundings realizing I fell asleep on the couch again and sitting next to me was a very tired Finnick Odair.
"Good Evening love." He says smiling at me.
"Why were you sleeping on the couch?" He asks sounding a bit amused. I blush when I remember why I was on the couch in the first place. Waiting for him to get home.
"I just fell asleep on the couch. What time is it Fin?" I ask trying to change the subject.
"It's 1:00 Kara." He tells me making me nod.
"I got a 9 Finnick." I mutter sleepily.
He smiles brightly hugging me around my waist pulling me to his chest.
"I know I saw and I'm so proud of you." He tells me  I smile back at him. He doesn't smell like he normally does. He smells like Jasmine, perfume and a musky smell and something else.
I pull back yawning loudly.
"Let's get you to bed you are exhausted." He tells me.
"Can you walk?" His voice kind and very different than I've seen on the television or in his games. Even different than the way he speaks to Mags.
"I can just sleep here...." I say quietly.
He sighs softly giving me a look.
"I take that back Randy would kill me in my sleep. He's mad because I got a higher score." I remember out loud.
"You make things so difficult." He mutters.
"You like people who are easy." I comment as he picks me up.I blush furiously mentally slapping myself.
The corners of his mouth curving as he gives me an amused smile.
"I mean to deal with. Easy to deal with. I'm tired ignore me." I mutter he chuckles softly.
"You're funny when you are tired." He comments walking slowly to my room.
"You enjoy embarrassing me. So do the other tributes. Mags is the only one who doesn't embarrass me." I mutter almost pouting.
"You don't know half of what Mags is capable she can make me blush which is something a lot of people have tried and failed to do." He jokes as he opens my door to my room stepping in.
"I'm sure she can." I reply as he sets me on the bed.
"What do you mean about the tributes teasing you?" He sits next to me.
"The female tributes giggle about how lucky I am to have you as a mentor and how it's a waste on me. I'm too young to admire your appeal." I mutter climbing under the blanket.
"They are just silly girls Kara." He tells me.
"Does that make me a silly girl too? I guess I am it's silly of me that I thought we might be becoming friends." I ask jokingly my body relaxing.
"You are silly...the silliest girl I've ever met but I was under the impression we were friends already." He tells me fondly smiling down at me making my heart beat quickly for a second.
"We both need to get sleep Kara. Training is going to be after breakfast tomorrow then we will prepare you for the interview after lunch." He tells me standing up heading towards the door.
"Good night sweet dreams Fin." I reply.
"Goodnight Kara." He tells me softly closing my door it's not long after that I fall asleep a smile on my face. My score giving me hope that i can prove my father wrong. That I have a fighting chance. Then I realize that if Finnick has faith in me meaning I've always had a chance. Finnick hasn't been wrong yet. I came to the Capitol wanting to prove everyone wrong now the only thing I want to do is him and Mags proud of me and return home to my family.