Chapter 64

"Karaline! Hey Mathis!" I hear a boy call across the lunch room. I don't bother looking up and neither does Annie at my side. I can see her fighting to look at the kid.
I effectively ignore the kid until I'm hit with a full water bottle in the shoulder. My eyes snap up to the table several feet away from Annie and I's bench. The group of kids laugh loudly. I see Annie fume and prepare to confront the rude student but I grab her hand.
"It's okay Ann." I whisper to her getting a furious glare from her.
"If you don't do something I will. I'm tired of it Kar." She tells me quietly.
"I'll handle it Annie." I promise setting my anatomy notes and book on the bench next to the clearly enraged red head.
I pick the bottle of water up from the ground and make my way towards the group of 14 year olds. They all stop laughing but proud smirks cover their features. When I reach the table I stop behind the boy who had been taunting me and getting my attention the whole lunch block. The person who threw the bottle. I tap his shoulder as he turns his body around to look at me.

"Can I help you?" He asks rudely a infuriating smirk covering his features.

"I would hope so. It seems that your bottle of water made its way to me." I state politely there was a clear edge to my voice.

"I think you are mistaken Mathis." He smirks as his friends howl with laughter.

"That's what you think?" I ask dangerously having long past loss my sense of humor. I don't care if they do this but never in front of Annie.

"Yep." He responds.

"Well here is your water let's hope you can hold onto it this time or you might find my next conversation with you less pleasant." I state putting the water on his tray calmly my hands shaking.

"Oooh boys you hear that... she's threatening me." He laughs loudly getting another round of laughter from the buffoons around him.

"I think you are mistaken Jeffrey." I repeat his words my eyes glaring but the smile never leaving my face. I turn on my heels and walk away.

"Don't drink it Jeff... she's poisoned it!" One of the younger kids bellies making the cafeteria laugh.

"Yeah! Don't drink the water!" Another kid giggles. I sit with Annie who clearly more enraged as the seconds drag on. I try to continue my homework but am interrupted by being hit in the head with the same bottle making the whole room burst into loud giggles.

I ignore Annie's calls pick up the bottle of water and calmly make my way over to the boys. I see the principle trying to make the children calm down and stop the taunting me she starts making her way to the table in a hurry.

I tap the same boy on the shoulder and when he turns his head to look at me I open the bottle of water looking the principle in the eye as I pour the bottle over his head. The boy shrieks like a girl and everyone in the room roars with laughter at his expense.

He stands up angrily getting in my face. My eyes never leaving his a small smile grazing my lips.

"Opps." I say innocently making him get even angrier his body shoving into mine.

"It seems you've had an incident Mr. Clarke." The principle states calmly pulling the boy from in my personal space. She's soon swamped with complaints from the group and accusations are thrown my way.

"Mr.Clarke I don't take harassment lightly in my school." She warns the angry boy.

"Miss Mathis go sit with Miss Cresta and I will speak to you in a moment." She tells me after a moment. I return to Annie's side she's giggling loudly at the scene that just unfolded.

We watch him argue with the principle before storming from the cafeteria his little crew of three boys and a girl following behind him. I bite my lip watching the principle walk towards me.

"You know I can't leave you unpunished." She starts getting a quick nod.

"I understand Ma'am. Please don't call Mags I'll serve whatever punishment you tell me. Just don't call her please." I beg softly seeing a ghost of a smile on the woman's face.

"You will be serving detention after school today with Mr. Thompson." She says making me look up hopefully.

"I won't be calling Ms. Flanagan this time but if something like this happens again I will." She tells me making the throbbing in my chest lighten up.

"Thank you so much. It won't happen again." I say my face brightening. I really don't want to have to worry Mags with the trouble my anger causes.

"I hope so Karaline." She replies before continuing quietly.

"I'm glad you've started standing up for yourself." She says softly giving me a tight lipped smile.

Annie and I leave the cafeteria quickly barely making it to the next class. It isn't the first time someone's did something like Jeffery did. I know it won't be the last time. Little did I know just how bad it was going to get. How far will I let it go? How far can someone push me until I hurt them? Until I hurt myself?