Chapter 51

I shake as Mags sits me in Finnick's big tub. He had left to get me some clothes from my house. I am naked but can't bring myself to care. She washes my hair gently rinsing it with a cup of water. My knees are pulled up to my chest my arms wrapped around my legs. The water turns a pale pink color from the blood that Finnick hadn't managed to get from my hair. Mags is very gentle with me humming softly as she washes my arms and legs. When she lets the water out she helps me to kneel in the bathtub wrapping the towel around my body.
"Kara I know it's going to be hard. You cannot stand without falling. I'm not strong enough to help you up. I need to call Finnick to help you out of the bathtub." She tells me gently getting a nod. I close my eyes as she brings Finnick into the room. I feel his warmth as the lifts me from the bathtub. I can't open my eyes. If I open my eyes I don't know what I will do. Instead, I wrap my arms around his neck taking in his scent.
His scent calms me I relax as he lays me on the bed.
"Mags is going to help you get dressed." He tells me gently brushing the wet hair out of my face. I feel Mags touch me as she slides a blue colored night shirt over my head.
I slide shorts over my legs pulling them up. Finnick and a random woman with black hair and blue eyes.
I hide my face in Mag's shoulder.
"Kara... this is Dr. Owens. She's here to help you." Finnick says gently.
I stare blankly at the women as she approaches me a duffle bag in her hand.
Mags stands leaving my side exiting the room after excusing herself to go make food. Her spot next to me is filled by Finnick.
"Hello Karaline, I'm Doctor Owens. I'm just going to be giving you a check up today. There is nothing to be scared of." Her voice is calm as she takes her place in front of me sitting on the bed.
"Kara... if you want me to step out I can." Finnick offers gently touching my arm.
"No stay." I hear myself saying.
"First lets start with a few questions." She suggests quietly.
"How old are you Karaline?" She asks me.
"Thirteen years old." I answer.
"On a scale of one to ten how much physical pain are you in?" She asks me catching my eyes.
"Ten." I reply quietly.
"What is hurting you?" She asks concerned as Finnick fingers rub my back.
"My chest and hands." I say making the doctor and Finnick tense up.
"May I listen to your heart beat and breathing?" She asks me getting a weak nod.
I feel her press the stethoscope to my chest I flinch at the coldness.
She listens to my heart beat.
"Breath for me Karaline." She requests getting a few deep breaths .
"I heard that you are in the medical program." She says smiling at my nod.
"You seem like a smart girl. I look forward to seeing you in a few years." She tells me getting a weak smile in return.
"Thank you." I say my voice trembles.
"Do you have a scale Mr. Odair?" She asks him.
"Yes, I'll go get it." He says but stops when I grab his arm.
"I'll just be a moment Kara." He promises sending me a comforting smile. He returns with the scale setting it in front of me. I step on the scale using Finnick's arm to keep me upright.
"86 pounds." She mutters quietly writing on the paper.
"I was called here to look at your hands may I see them?" She says laying a towel out on the bed. I look at Finnick getting a encouraging nod.
I show her my hands.
"I'm glad you called me she needs stitches." She tells Finnick.
"I'm going to numb your hands so I can stitch them up." She informs me digging into her bag.
She pulls a syringe from the bag I shuffle away roughly.
"Kara breathe love." Finnick says wrapping his arms around me.
I stare frightened by the large needle.
I start crying silently giving the woman my hands.
I feel Finnick sit closer to me. I feel the prick either hand and I whimper loudly. Finnick makes sounds soothing me I have to stop myself from sobbing. I can't open my eyes again I feel the pressure but no pain. She pours disinfectant onto the deep cuts. There are several places where my nails have cut into because I kept clinching and unclenching my hands . So each hand had about 8-10 individual stitches. Finnick holds me talking to me the whole time. Soothing and shushing my whimpers.

She dresses them and wraps both hands.
"You did so well Karaline. I'm going to schedule an appointment with me at the hospital. You will have a proper examination." She tells me as I open my eyes.
"Thank you." I say trying to hold myself together.
"Rest Kara I will be here when you wake up." Finnick promises as he and the doctor steps from the room. I sob loudly when the lights turn off. I can't stop crying and I don't stop until exhaustion takes over.

Finnick's POV
"How bad was it?" Mags asks the doctor.
I know Mags couldn't see Kara in pain like that again. She had to step out because she couldn't be strong for Kara if she saw the amount of harm she inflicted on herself.

"Miss. Mathis has 18 stitches between both of her hands. Due to the stitches and the pain it will be hard for her to complete most tasks meaning she will need supervision until her hands are healed. She's lost an almost alarming amount of blood causing her in ability to walk. She needs to be on fluids constantly for the next 48 hours. I'm going to give you pain medication for her it will help her sleep as well." The doctor tells us.
"Another thing... I would recommend bringing her to see me a week from today. She needs a healthy diet and blood tests to be done. She's clearly underweight nearly 10 pounds than is considered healthy. She needs to gain at least 20 pounds to be average for her age and height." She tells us looking disturbed by Kara's broken state.
"Her heart rate is elevated. Which means she needs to stay away from anything that might stress her out or make her anxious." Dr. Owens tells us getting a sharp nod.
"There is a meeting with the board of education tomorrow. I was wondering if you would attend the meeting with me. Explain the severity of her injuries." Mags asks her getting a nod in agreement.
"It would be my pleasure to attend the meeting." She says giving us her contact information.
"Leave a message with my assistant about the time when you are told." Dr. Owens tells us before leaving my house.
I try to calm down my body is on edge.
"Kara is asleep." Mags informs me walking into the living room.
"I've never seen her like that Mags. How can I take care of her? What if I hurt her or scare her?" I ask the older woman.
"This is Kara we are talking about. You need to trust yourself. She trusts you enough for you both." She tells me.
"I'm going to go home and call the school requesting her school work for the rest of the week. See if they have a time for the meeting tomorrow." Mags tells me gently.
"I made chicken parmesan and a salad for you and Kara the salad is in the refrigerator and the chicken is in the oven." She tells me kissing my cheek softly leaving me to run my fingers through my hair. I'm going to have to call Valentine and tell him about what happened. I try to prepare myself to convince the older man coming to district 4 is not a good idea. Making me a hypocrite because nothing would stop me from reaching Kara if she needed me. I let Kara sleep through lunch opening the door to a very concerned red head.
"I heard about what happened is she okay?" Annie asks loudly.
"I promise everything is okay Annie please come sit. I'm not trying to be rude but Kara is trying to sleep upstairs she's very tired." I inform the teen leading her into my house.
"How could he do that to Kar?" Annie whispers when taking the glass of water when offered.
"He isn't going to get away with forcing her to watch the games is he?" She asks clearly shaken. I don't know how to comfort her because our interactions are very limited due to us only speaking a handful of times.
We speak for a few minutes before she makes me promise her if anything comes up that I will contact her immediately. Me informing her that Kara should be up to company tomorrow if she and Dylon want to come visit.
The second Annie leaves I impulsively walk towards the phone dialing a number I've known by heart for the pass two years. It rings a few moments before the call is picked up.
"Johanna?" My voice cracks as I am greeted by the voice of one of my only real friends besides Kara.