Chapter 55

^Annie and Dylon
I sit with Annie on the dock watching Dylon build a sand castle. Fin asked them to spend the morning with me while he went shopping for groceries. Annie braids my hair gently as I lay my head in her lap. We watch as Dylon giggles piling wet sand into a bucket I keep at my house.
"So when do you get the stitches out of your hands?" She asks softly her shoulder length red hair being messed up the wind. She finishes my braids tying them off.
"Hopefully today. Mags and Finnick are suppose to bring me." I say my eyes closed I have a doctors appointment at 4:00 this afternoon. We both sit there soaking in the sun. Annie always joked that I'm the palest person on the planet. Even her naturally pale skin is tanned but not my skin.
"You were right about him."Annie tell me as roll onto my stomach to face her.
"What do you mean Ann?" I ask softly.
"Finnick is a good man.... he takes care of you Kar. He's good for you." She tells me softly playing with the braid she just made.
"You and him are my best friend Annie." I remind the girl relaxing my head in her lap as my back gets some sun.
"You were always too stubborn to let me, mom and dad take care of you. He's broken through that...I guess you finally found someone just as stubborn as you."Annie's voice is playful.
"He's more stubborn than I am." I tell the older girl defensively.
"That's not possible." She jokes.
"You haven't had a disagreement with him yet." I tell her rolling my eyes.
"Regardless of that I'm glad you have him." She tells me.
Her words make my heart beat faster. I don't know what I would do without Finnick.
There is a loud scream. Dylon! My eyes widen as I shuffle up into a sitting position. My eyes watering as I look around frantically. Annie wraps her arms around me. Dylon is hurt... he need me...
"Kara... shh shh. Dylon is okay...look." She tells me softly her arms stopping me from moving but my body still tries to get from her grasp.

We look over as Dylon giggle loudly splashing the wave that reached him and his sand castle.
I sink relaxing into Annie's arms tears still in my eyes.
"I'm sorry." I whisper.
"Kara shhh... it's okay. Don't be sorry everything's okay." Annie promises wiping the falling tears away.
"Dylon is okay... I'm okay and you are okay... we are safe shhhhh." She promises.
"Everyone is safe. No one is hurt."She tells me leaning me against her. It feels pathetic practically sitting in Annie's lap crying but it feels good... it feels comforting. If it wasn't for Dylon's loud giggles I probably wouldn't believe her but his giggles and Annie's soothing noises keep me grounded.
My tears had long since dried but Annie still had me in her arms. My eyes never leaving Dylon's happy form.
I'm glad she stopped me from running to him because if Dylon saw me in the state I was in it probably would have made him upset or get stressed out. It would have ruined our beach day together. We rarely spend time like this together I don't want to be what ruins it for us.
I feel myself relaxing completely into Annie my eyes closing I focus on my breathing. I don't know how long we sit there her fingers stroking my braids.
"Look Kar... Finnick is here." Annie whispers nudging me gently. My eyes open and I see him greet Dylon. Complementing the boy on his sand castle. He makes his way towards Annie and I watching us closely.
"Hello Ladies." He says charmingly before exchanging looks with Annie.
"Hello Finnick." She replies playing with my braid blushing. No one can quite get use to Finnick's unwavering charm.
When I realize I didn't greet him and they are both looking at me in concern.
"Hi Finnick." I say snapping my attention to them.
"Are you joining us?" Annie asks the older man.
"Yeah I was thinking about going swimming with Dylon." His deep voice sounds I can feel his eyes on me clearly concerned at my disheveled state.
I find myself grateful for his offer. Dylon couldn't swim because I can't swim with my stitches and Annie couldn't watch after both of us at the same time. I told Annie she could go with Dylon but she insisted on staying with me.
"Really?" I hear Dylon ask him running up the dock.
"Of course Dylon." He tells the boy who grins brightly at his idol.
Dylon loves Finnick endlessly. Dilly looks at him like he hung the moon and the stars. At first his parents were nervous about Finnick hurting his feelings by brushing him off or ignoring him. But every time Dylon is around Finnick takes the excited boy under his wing.
I can tell Dylon wants to jump off my dock he looks at me begging silently.
I nod smiling making him take his shirt off and runs off the dock jumping into the ocean with a big splash. It splashes me and Annie we both laugh loudly at the boy.
"I guess that's my cue." Finnick jokes handing me Dylon's shirt. He takes his sandals off setting it next to me and Annie. He takes his shirt off making Annie play in my hair trying to avoid looking. I feel my face heat up as I offer to take his shirt. He gives it to me winking at me playfully.
"Come on Fin!" Dilly giggles loudly.
"I'm coming... I'm coming!" He says jokingly diving gracefully into the water.
Annie raises her eyebrows at Finnick's shirtless form. I shake my head my face burning.
My uneasiness fades within minutes of him arriving. Finnick would never let anything happen to us. He always protects us. The rest of the morning is filled with splashes or loud giggles from Dylon. Every once in a while a loud laughter from Finnick. All I could do is watch and enjoy my morning with my three favorite people in the world. The only thing I can do is smile.