Chapter 29

I keep my eyes shut tight as Valentine dresses me. I breathe in and out slowly trying not to panic. I feel bad for being such a handful. I'm making Valentine and my prep team's jobs harder than necessary.
They don't seem to be frustrated or irritated by my fear. They are patient with my episodes. Even Darla who I can tell doesn't care for me very much.

"You look absolutely dazzling Karaline." Valentine says.
My eyes open wide in shock as I see my appearance. The dress is similar to the interview fitted around the chest and waist and flares from my hips. It's white with gold leaves shining in the light.
My skin has the same pale glow as it did for the interview my hair curls in perfect ringlets around my face down my back. My nails shiny with gold glitter on the tips. He puts me in short white heels. I look short even with heels but my thin arms and legs look longer. I realize the recap viewing will be taking place soon my body starts shaking.
"Finnick and Mags all the mentors will be sitting in the first balcony on the right. I will be there for when you feel afraid or if watching is too hard." He whispers
"What if I can't do this. Will they lock me up? Hurt my family?" I ask him in a whisper almost afraid to hear the answer.
"You can do this Kara." He tells me confidently holding his hand out for me to take we slowly make our way were I would be raised onto the stage. I realize the platform reminds me of the tribute shoot rising me into the arena.
"Just try to pretend you are watching someone else's games. Not yours. Don't let them see you break again. None of them deserve that. This is one of those moments that define how people see you. Do they see you as a broken child or a strong powerful young woman?" He asks me.
"I will try to be strong I will." I promise my hands shaking.
"Smile and be yourself avoid hard questions that make you uncomfortable. Give them one last show then you will be on your way home after the crowning." Valentines sharp grey eyes hold mine.
"Thank you for this." I tell him as he helps me onto the platform.
"Its a pleasure Kara." He tells me he speaks into the microphone telling the crew I was ready to be raised onto the stage.
"Good luck Kara." Valentine tells me rushing off. They announce Finnick,Mags and my prep team there are excited screams and cheers. Before I'm announced my back straightens as I'm raised onto the stage. I'm overwhelmed by the massive amount of people cheering for me. I feel myself slipping into the polished version of myself that I play for the Capitol. I smile brightly and wave at the crowd walking towards the center of the stage where Caesar is standing.
"Kara darling! It's quite lovely to see you again." He tells me taking my hand. I smile at him he pulls me to his body to kiss my cheek in a polite fashion. I flinch softly before schooling my expression.
"It's lovely to see you as well Caesar." I reply calming my breathing as we settle into our seats.
"I'm going to be completely honest with you Karaline." He tells me as the crowd falls silent.
"Of course." I nod towards him to continue.
"It's quite a happy surprise to all of us that you are here." He tells me almost making it sound as a complement.
"I'm probably as surprised if not more than you are." I tell him honestly.
"You surprised the whole nation darling! Didn't she?" He asks the crowd getting a loud cheer in response. I smile my face warming slightly.
"Shall we begin with the highlight reel?" He asks the crowd roars and I smile looking at the balcony spotting Finnick and Valentine in the group of victors I see them talking looking concerned. I snap my eyes away and stare at the screen. First thing we see it my reaping. You can hear the enraged silence of my district as I stand at Jasabell's side. Then Randy is called you see his smirk as he hovers over me squeezing my hand. The next thing you see is me being escorted to the train. My cheek bright red my lip bleeding. My cheeks warm at how pathetic I looked at the time. The parade is next I smile as the crowd oohs at the mermaid dress Val made me. 
"Your Stylist is gifted." Caesar everyone cheers in agreement as the next scene is my interview. I looked so frail and innocent you see the love flash in my eyes when I mention Annie and Dylon. The hurt when he mentions Nadia.
The next shot is of me standing on my platform taking in my surroundings.
The gong sounds and you see me running towards the wood. Reaching the woods before the careers reach the cornucopia.
The screen on my face as I watch the blood bath. They pick up when I'm figuring out the lake is poison.
I'm searching the cornucopia you see my snap my head into attention and slam my body against the cornucopia.
The first time i see Gina my heart nearly stops. You hear the fear in my voice.
"Was she your ally?" Caesar asks.
"No I promised her and Hazel I would help them if they needed it but that only extends so far." I reply watching me kiss her forehead softly. The crowd awes at the display.
There are excited giggles when I bottle the poison.
"I was wondering how you knew you would need the poison water?" Caesar asks me.
"I didn't. But I figured if I died who ever killed me or steals my supplies might drink it." I shrug there is a quick silence.
I watch my small form climb the tree and settle in for the night. I watch myself set snares and find the fruit you can see me debate with myself silently before eating the fruit.
"I didn't know if it was safe or not to eat. I was hungry and didn't care." I tell Caesar getting a thick laugh from the crowd.
I call myself stupid as I realize the water was in the trees.
I tense up slightly knowing what's coming next.
You see me come across Heath. I quickly hide my weapons putting a knife in my boot and ran.
"Why did you hide your weapons and run?" He wonders the video stopping for us to discuss his question.
"I knew if I attacked him I would lose even if I had the upper hand of my weapons and surprise. If I ran he would have caught me anyway. If I had all of those weapons he would see me as more of a threat. Because that would mean I fought in the blood bath to get it or killed another tribute for them. He needed to believe I wasn't a threat." I explain.
We watch as he catches me. My voice cold as I convinced him to let me live.
I watch my eyes roll as he yanks me to my feet by my hair. I see him wrap his hands around my throat after threatening me. I look like a doll as he flings me to the ground. I'm gasping for air as I look at her wound.
Everyone starts getting excited when I pull the poison from my bag. There are cheers when he drinks it. We watch my shaking hands covered in blood and puss poor the poison into her wound.
The interaction between me and Heath as he was dying almost seemed as if I was taunting him. I was simply telling him the truth. After Heath dies you watch as Alexander's story begins. His insanity started with Floyd who he stabbed to death. Him talking to himself.
You watch me approach the two girls stealing my food. My expression is calm and understanding you can see I haven't ate much in days before that due to them stealing anything in my snares. My eyes glinting dangerously as they ignore my warning my eyes dancing.
I watch Vena swipe her blade slashing my cheek harshly. I can see myself finally get angry. My anger flashing in my eyes and I dislocate her shoulder without missing a beat. I see myself shove her to the ground harshly. Asking if they want to try again. The girl from 12 flinches as my furious eyes burn into hers. I look terrifying as blood is running down my face and neck.
I realize I had been digging my nails into my hands harshly. The only thing holding me together is the pain of my fake nails pressing into my hand.
I give her the ultimatum. Run or fight and die. My voice cold and harsh. I open my arms for her to hit me. I harshly tell her to make it count because if she misses she's a dead girl. She of course misses. The crowd cheers and screams in excitement as I throw the knife almost quicker than I can follow looking almost second nature. Her cannon booms. My eyes stare in horror as I choke Vena to death.
They skip over the me crying in the bush and throwing up part. Slipping to Randy following me. The look of determination as I create the snare
He got entrapped in the snare screaming curses and death threats while the whole time my face was calm and cold.
The crowd laughs at my cracks toward Randy.
"Why would you say Randy was jealous?" Caesar asks me.
"He was born from a very rich family and felt he was better then everyone including me. When our mentors seemed to favor me over him he was filled with jealousy and lashed out at me. He didn't understand why someone would prefer me over him. I always stood up for myself and that made him even angrier. When I got a higher score in training than him it was a boiling point for him. That's why he was hunting me. His pride was hurt so he wanted me dead to prove his worth." I say calmly.
"And his comments about you and your mentor Finnick Odair?" Caesar asks me. Getting giggles from the crowd.
"His comments were idiotic and far fetched. He knows that Finnick and I became friends while he trained me. He was jealous because Finnick didn't train him. So he used our friendship against me. All of it was false." I tell him getting a nod in understanding. My face warms at the comments to come. The ones about my father and Finnick alike.
My body tense and stiff as I watch Alexander kill Gina and brutalize her. Then he hunts for me my nails digging deep into my hands. I see the food being sent to me. I glance at the balcony my eyes meeting Finnick and Mags eyes for the first time since I've left the arena.
***warning description of sexual abuse***
They look angry and worried. I turn my eyes to the screen watching in silence as he throws me to the ground roughly. His dirty words whispered for the world to hear. You watch me spat the blood on his face there is no sounds in the room as his hand cracks across my face. Then the sounds of clothes ripping and my screaming and begging sound through the building. Me begging for death begging him to end my life. Screaming in pain.
***
I can almost feel his hands on me again. I dig my nails deeper into my hands my face blank as I watch not looking away. Everyone in the room flinches at the sounds even Caesar looks away in discomfort. I can't let them see my weakness. My eyes want to close and tear up at the sight of the lust in his blue eyes. The eyes that have been haunting me. He lets me go trying to unbuckle his pants. My fist balls up and punches him throat hard. He sputters and gasps for air as I grab for my knife. There are loud cheers as I stab Alexander in the crotch twisting the knife roughly. I watch someone who I can barely recognize stab the large boy over and over again brutally even after his cannon fires. She freezes on screen dropping the knife to the ground shuffling back pain and brokenness covering her face. Her chest is bruised harshly she wraps her blood filled arms around her trembling body. And stays like that until the next scene I finally get clothes. They unfocus at the sight of my bare chest thankfully but you can see the harsh scars covering my back and bruises covering my torso. The next few scenes are almost robotic in nature you can clearly see me struggling to walk whimpering in discomfort.
You watch me sit in the cave for those two days my expression blank almost bored. Until the next cannon fires. It turns out Ross was my kill as well. After Randy died, I set human snares almost identical to the one I caught Randy in around the arena. One caught Ross in the middle of a snow storm and he froze to death.
I am walking to the cornucopia as the crowd gets excited as we all watch Hazel and Kale fight. I rewatch poor Hazel fall for the second time.
My eyes shining in amusement for the first time in days as I throw my bags.
I rewatch Kales large body throw himself at me. I "slipped" and watched him prepare for the death blow. I roll in time and stab him harshly in the back of the knee. I watch as we are both dunked into the frozen water. My hand shakes as I remember the coldness I felt. I watch Kale drown/bleed out and me being crown victor as I sink under the water.
My eyes leave the screen as the highlights end. I smile as the crowd cheers for me.
"Lady's and Gentlemen! May I present the Victor of the 69th Hunger Games Karaline Mathis District 4!" Is announced getting a roar in excitement as I see the president approach me. A crown in hand. He stands in front of me towering over me.
"Congratulations Miss Mathis." He whispers his eyes meeting mine.
"Thank you Mr. President sir." I say quietly my expression calm.
"Enjoy your life as victor Karaline Mathis." His voice dripping with malice. His eyes amused.
He places the crown on my head matching my dress perfectly.
The crowd roars loudly chanting my name.
My eyes hard when I realize the threat behind his voice. Hard times aren't over Snow made that abundantly clear. I can't help but feel afraid for the future. What exactly does Snow have in store for me?