Chapter 43

I wake up instantly regretting it. I rather have nightmares than wake up today. At least in real nightmares I can escape by waking up. There is nothing I can do to escape seeing Sierra and Lyla today. I realize it's 4:00 in the morning meaning Finnick is out running. I decide to drag myself from my very comfortable bed and run again.
I stretch my bones cracking in the process. I dress in running shorts and a T-shirt. I exit my house and just like the morning before he's running in a very very tight shirt. My face warms harshly... it's too early for this. I rush to catch up with him he smirks when he sees me.
"I guess this will become an every morning thing." He says pushing ahead.
"Only if that's okay with you." I respond as we reach the wall separating us from the rest of the district.
"Of course it's fun having a running buddy. Would you like to try solid ground again?" He asks me smirking at my already tired look.
"Sure Finnick." I respond looking into his sea green eyes.
We rush past Mags house towards the gate. Once it's open we sprint and jog to the docks and back. Its a bit harder today because I'm so sore. But that doesn't stop me if anything it makes me work harder.
When we reach our houses we go our separate ways to shower. I clean my body roughly before throwing on a two piece bathing suit. The bottoms are high waisted and black while the top is white with black palm trees. I put on white jean shorts and a blouse covered in flowers. I put on sandals and put my hair up. I rush to Mag's house as my stomach growls loudly. I smell bacon when I enter her house. There's music again playing I walk to the kitchen kissing Mag's on her cheek.
"Morning Karaline." She greets smiling.
"You can go meet Finnick he's practicing in the sitting room." She tells me. I smile walking to meet Finnick. He's sitting his hair wet from his shower. He has some white shorts on with a white muscle shirt and a blue button up over it with no shoes. His hands flow gently across the keys. He messes up every once in a while but overall it's very beautiful. I walk quietly trying not to disturb him. I sit on the bench next to him. He stops looking at me smiling.
"It's really beautiful you didn't have to stop."I tell him watching his fingers glide along the keys.
"You should hear Mags' play it's so gorgeous." He tells me.
"You excited for your day off?" I ask him crossing one leg over the other.
"Of course. Mags and I are going grocery shopping around lunch. I might come home and catch up on sleep." He says looking over at me.
"That's great enjoy your day off." I tell him meeting his eyes.
"Guys the food is ready!" Mags calls from the kitchen. We both file into the kitchen Finnick makes the coffee and I pour myself some milk. We decide to eat on the deck this morning as the sun is rising.
"So Kara what are your plans for today?" Mags wonders.
I groan softly remembering what I planned for today.
"Whatever it is you seem over joyed." Finnick says his lips turning upwards
"I invited Annie and her friends over to go swimming. Dylon too but he had his first day of work today." I tell them stabbing the eggs on my plate.
"You love Annie." Finnick reminds me not understanding my reluctant attitude.
"Annie's friends and I don't get alone very well." I inform them.
"Well flower... Why did you invite them?" Mags wonders.
"To make Annie happy." I reply.
"Why don't you like them?" Finnick asks me.
"They are big gossipers... they always disliked me because they felt superior to me. They are typical mean girls. Two petty mean 16 year olds." I finish rolling my eyes.
"Annie doesn't seem the type to be friends with people like that." Finnick says in confusion.
"They aren't that way around Annie." I explain.
"Ahhh I see." Mags mutters.
"Would you like me to join y'all?" Finnick asks me making my stomach tie in knots.
"No Fin you deserve your day off." I tell him knowing he's worried about me having another episode.
"I'll be okay. I'll have Annie who is the best swimmer I've ever met with us." I tease trying to ease his worry.
"And the two girls?" Mags wonders her eyes shining with amusement.
"Sierra and Lyla? They are exceptionally useless." I say rolling my eyes.
I hear Finnick snicker and Mags smiles.
"They can't be that bad..." Finnick says laughing softly.
"Oh but they can..." I tell them amused.
We all let out a laugh finishing eating our breakfast.
I tell them both goodbye heading back to my house to tidy up and make some food incase my guests get hungry. My phone rings I rush to answer it.
"Hello Miss Karaline there are some young ladies with Miss Cresta here to visit can I let them through?" The day guard asks.
"Of course. I'm coming greet them." I say kindly rushing from my house.
I meet them at the gate forcing a smile on my face.
"Good morning Annie, Sierra, Lyla." I greet as they walk in. I see a happy smile from Annie.
Sierra is very tanned lanky girl with blonde hair. While Lyla is curvier with dark hair. They both stare at victors village in awe.
"Oh my god Kara! It's so nice to see you again!" Sierra gasps rushing to hug me. I know it's insincere because the eye roll Lyla gives.
"Same to you Sierra. How have you both been?" I ask them.
"Great but not as good as you apparently." Lyla says as we are walking towards my house.
"Like no kidding your house is so gorgeous." Lyla tells me a fake smile on her face.
"Thank you Lyla." I say calmly.
We walk into my house I pretend not to hear their fake complements. I grab a handful of towels.
"Annie told us you are like Finnick's neighbor." Sierra tells me as I lead them onto my porch.
"Well I'm not like his neighbor I am his neighbor." I say looking questioningly at Annie.
"You actually have the whole beach to yourself?" Sierra gasps at the empty beautiful beach.
"Me and the other victors." I correct them placing the towels on the table.
We all take off our clothes to our swim suits. The two suddenly friendly girls in small and revealing bathing suits.
"I love your suit Kara." Annie complements smiling at me.
"Thanks Annie." I reply.
"Yes it looks so adorable." Lyla says you could hear the sarcasm behind her words.  Annie shoots a look at her friends having finally caught on to their subtle insults and sarcasm. Every complement all had a hateful undertone or double meanings.
We all approach the water the two girls sit on my dock
"So Kar we saw your games." They tell me as I'm waist deep in the water.
I see Annie sending them sharp looks.
"Yes..." I say calmly everyone had to watch it's mandatory.
"It's just you didn't act like you. You are always so sweet and quiet. You acted so blood thirsty and cold." They say laying on their stomach on the dock.
"Yes and? You try having to kill people while being sweet." I snort at the idea they can barely speak proper English much. Kill people? Ha that's funny.
"I mean we were impressed." Sierra says ignoring my words.
"I aim to please." I tell them looking at Annie begging her to shut her stupid friend's mouthes.
"It's too bad you killed those guys they were really attractive." Lyla says I look at her trying to figure out if she actually has a brain.
They have always been the two most boy crazy girls I've ever met so it shouldn't surprise me.
I try to ignore their giggles and stares.
"Where is Finnick at Kara?" Sierra asks me glancing towards his house.
"He went to town with Mags." I reply finally realizing one of the reasons they are here.
"Who is Mags?" Lyla snaps.
"My other mentor." I reply.
"When he gets back will he be joining us?"Sierra asks flipping her hair over her shoulder.
"Today's his day off he told me he was catching up on sleep. He works a lot." After this they look crestfallen at the news.
They ignore me except to send uncomfortable prying questions my way every once in a while. They are definitely looking for gossip worthy information about me.
"Kar I'm sorry." Annie whispers.
"Don't apologize to me." I tell her knowing this isn't her fault.
They are fake. They don't like me we all knew it. They were being kiss asses to get information to use against me. I know it... they know it... hell even Annie knows it.
They talk about the games so carelessly. Throwing bad memories towards me talking about my assault when Annie isn't listening. Being intentionally cruel towards me but hiding it behind a smiles and giggles.
We head inside to eat before they leave. On their way out I catch their arms.
"Next time, I wouldn't be so transparent about my intentions if I were you." I mutter to them.
They look startled by my words but don't say anything as I smile brightly.
"It was so nice to see you girls again!" I tell them smiling and waving goodbye to them. Annie kisses my cheek as they leave.
"Thank you Kara." she whispers.
"Don't mention it love." I reply.
"I'll meet you tomorrow so we can walk to school." I tell her smiling.
Before I disliked them... them throwing my games in my face makes me hate them. I know they aren't going to be the first or the last to use my games against me. Little did I know just how right I am.