Chapter 17

"You're going to be the prettiest tribute that has ever graced that stage darling."  Valentine tells me putting the finishing touches on my makeup leaving me in front of a body length mirror.
I can only gasp at myself. I look like me but not... I look like a doll.
He decided to not go overboard he decided to use my colorless pale skin to our advantage. It took him almost an hour to make my whole visible body flawless with products to make my skin like porcelain. He decided to put a natural pale brown to the crease of my eyes lids. He barely lines my eyes with a black pencil and uses mascara to open my eyes up  and to highlight my blue eyes. The only color on my face is the blush on my cheeks and the natural dark pink gloss on my lips.
The dress, I can barely wrap my mind around the beauty that is the dress Val made for me. It's a fitted pale purple lace dress with a nude color under it. It is very fitted showing my small chest  and waist but flairs out at my hips and down to my knees beautifully. The shoes he has me in are a small 3 inch heel with lace and pearl designs on it. My hair is braided into a crown around my head with identical pearls in the braid while the rest of my blonde hair calls in perfect ringlets down my back.
"You look like a princess Kara."Valentine tells me.
"I still look like me." I say aloud not disappointed with the outcome.
"A slightly polished version of you but yes that's what we were going for. How can we expect you to be you if don't look like yourself?" Valentine asks from behind me securing a pearl in my hair.
"Thank you so much." I whisper in shock.
"Mags told me your favorite color was purple so I hoped you would enjoy the dress color." Valentine says softly.
"I love it." I tell him.
"Annie would have loved to meet you." I comment softly catching his eye in the mirror.
"And Annie is your friend?" He asks cautiously. I had never mentioned her before now.
I nod it being the closest to the truth I can manage.
"Karaline it's almost time for the line up of the tributes and the interviews." Jasabell peaks in smiling at me.
"We will be there in a moment I'm just about finished." Valentine says not even looking up.
"Good luck Kara you will do great." Jasabell says quickly leaving.
"Your mentors and I will be in the center second row if you get nervous. Just be calm, be yourself and they will love you." Valentine says leaving me in line with the other tributes. Who all look dressed up and almost like different people. Peacekeepers escort me to my seat inbetween Randy and Alexander. Them both taking up a lot of space making me squeeze in my tiny chair.
I feel Alexander's dark eyes burning holes into me. I sit silently not moving or breathing loudly trying to avoid his gaze. His arm touching mine slightly making me flinch.
He's enjoying this. He's smiling brightly at my discomfort.
Caesar Flickerman greets and opens the show welcoming everyone and starts introducing tributes one by one. Each getting 6 minutes they all have an angle.
Lavender having skilled and sly.
Ross being mysterious and dangerous.
Austra being sexy and confident in her tiny gold dress showing off her chest.
Her district partner skilled and cocky
The girl from three shy and friendly. Then Alexander is up and I can feel my hands shaking.
"So Alexander what's your thoughts on the other tributes this year. Do you feel threatened or excited?" Caesar asks as their interview is coming to an end.
"I'm not threatened what so ever. I am quite excited to get closer to one particular tribute." He says smiling nearly smirking.
"Do tell us is the tribute one of the female tributes?" Caesar wonders in a suggestive voice getting screams in excitement.
"Yes, And It happens to be the most radiant and beautiful female tribute that you will see tonight." He agrees making my chest hurt from the frantic beating.
Then the buzzer goes off. Before I have time to digest he passes me a smirk on his face
Now it's my turn my heart almost beating out of my chest.
"I would like to introduce Karaline Mathis, District 4" He announces as I start walking forward breathing in deeply calming myself. As I walk on the stage I smile and wave at the crowd joining Caesar.
"Hi Karaline how are you tonight? You look quite lovely tonight." He says charmingly taking my hand leading me to my seat.
"I'm wonderful Mr. Flickerman." I say to him trying to hide my nervousness. I sit with my legs crossed at the ankles and my back straight like Jasabell taught me.
"Mr. Flickerman is my father. Please call me Caesar. Isn't she just precious?!" He laughs getting sounds of agreement.
"Well Caesar in that case please call me Kara." I say playfulness laced in my kind tone getting a hearty laugh from him.
"So Kara." He starts seriously.
"So Caesar." I mock getting a loud laugh from him and the crowd.
"It must have been a big change coming to the Capitol from District 4. What would you say is your favorite part of the Capitol so far?" He asks.
"Yes Caesar it's very different here than back home. I love all the bright colors here they are so beautiful some of them you can't even find in the prettiest sunsets back home." I say my voice soft.
"You are right we are known to be very colorful and bright here that's a beautiful way of thinking about it." He complements getting a small thanks.
"I do believe your sister was a tribute a  few years ago wasn't she?" He asks me my eyes hardening for a second my fake nails digging into my hand.
"Yes Nadia was a tribute." I reply trying to school my expression.
"The same year as Johanna Mason if I remember correctly?" He asks not seeing the warning look in my eyes.
"Yes you are correct. I could only dream of being as strong and brave as my sister was." I say smiling sadly.
"Of course." He agrees after a moment of silence.
"Would you say your sisters memory drives you to win?" Caesar asks.
"I loved my sister more than anything. But my drive to win would have to be for the ones I love that are still here with me."  I tell him getting a loud awe from the crowd I look into the crowd knowing what will come next. My eyes meeting with Finnicks as he gives me a nod.
"Your loved ones seem very dear to your heart would you tell us about them?" Caesar asks me meeting my eyes.
"My best friend Annie and her older brother Dylon are my best friends in the whole world. Annie was Nadia's best friend as well. Dylon and Annie are both the kindest most loving people you would ever have the pleasure of meeting." I say smiling sadly.
"They seem wonderful. You love them very much don't you?" He asks me.
"I love them more than anything. They  are all I have, they're my family Caesar." I tell him honestly getting a crowd full of awes and soft cry's.
"That's very heart warming for you to care so much for your friends." Caesar nods.
"We are reaching the end of our time together. This is our last question we have Kara. You are quite a bit younger than all of your fellow tributes would you say that is an advantage or a disadvantage?" He asks me quickly.
"I can't say Caesar. Neither really. Age and size doesn't really matter at the end of the day. Don't get me wrong Being strong and skilled helps you win. It's about inner strength and what kind of person you are. Personally, If I let myself believe that I don't have a chance because of my age then I'm giving up and how can I ever win? On the other hand if I believe I'm superior to others then I underestimate potential threats they will over power me and I won't win." I say neutrally getting a bright smile from him.
"Right you are Kara. That's a interesting way to think about it. Well I would like to wish you good luck for tomorrow." He tells me kindly patting my hand.
"Thank you Caesar but honestly tomorrow is anything but lucky considering it is my birthday." I tell him softly getting gasps from the audience.
The buzzer goes off and it's time to leave the stage.
"Everyone I present to you Karaline Mathis district four!" He say raising my hand in the air with a sweet smile.
I walk off the stage making my way past the other tributes not looking at them my eyes glued to the ground.
I feel myself crash into someone's chest I curse as I meet Alexander's dark blue eyes.
"Little Karaline." He mutters his eyes dancing playfully across me.
"Yes can I help you." I whisper digging my nails into my hand.
"I sure hope so."He says smirking looking me up and down sending shivers down my spine.
I feel the other tributes attention gets snapped to us. But they say nothing.
"Why don't you want to be my ally?" His voice sounding almost sad his eyes flashing with hurt his hand grabbing my upper arm tightly.
"I don't know you." I hiss trying to pull my arm away just to get yanked towards him against his chest.
"Your right you don't... but you will little Karaline." His lips touching my ear his voice carries a threatening undertone to it.
"Take your hands off of me Alexander." I cry softly trying to shove him away.
"The way you say my name is so beautiful." His voice drips in amazement as he licks his lips his hand not grabbing my arm harshly is holding my chin.
He whispers words in a hushed voice making my whole body go into fight or flight my body struggling to get free.
He presses his face close to mine trying to kiss me. Tears pool in my eyes as I try to get away but his grip is too tight.
He stops his lips grazing my cheek.
"We will finish this in the arena my darling Karaline." He whispers just as I'm ripped away from the boy. I gasp loudly realizing I hadn't been breathing. The only thing I see is a smirking Alexander standing several feet away now.
"What the hell boy?"  Valentine asks him harshly as Finnick's arms are now around my waist holding me to him.
"He were just having a chat. I'll be seeing you soon Karaline." He says in a dangerous tone looking me up and down before walking away.
I can barely look at the look of pitty on most of the tributes faces. I hide my face in Finnick's side for a moment composing myself. I breathe in loudly forcing a calm look on my face.
I want to disappear. I can't look them in the eyes.
Then I do what I do best. I run.

To be continued.... it's longer than I expected sorry! It will be up tomorrow afternoon.