Chapter 18

I finally feel like I can breathe once I reach the roof. I sit on the bench and try to calm my breathing. It's freezing on the roof at night so the wind cuts straight through my dress leaving me freezing.
I sit there and try to process what just happened but my mind fights it. My face warm due to the intense blush but the rest of my body is freezing.
I couldn't even look at Finnick's face after seeing whatever freak show Alexander used me for. I can only imagined what it looked like to him, Mags and Valentine. I hear the elevator ding I don't bother turning around if it's someone to hurt me I'm probably going to die tomorrow anyway so I let them come.
I feel my body shrink as I see a very hesitant Finnick sit next to me on the bench.
My body shaking it hasn't stopped shaking since I ran away from Fin the cold making my trembling worse.
"You shouldn't have ran from us Karaline."His voice reached my ear even through the howling wind.
"I know I'm sorry." I manage my whole body shivering.
His hand reaches out to touch my freezing skin.
"Damn it Kara your going to get sick." Fin curses taking his blazer off and wrapping it around my small body.
"What did that boy do to you?" He asks me sitting close to me.
"I ran into him and he grabbed me he was mad I turned down his alliance. I told him to take his hands off of me and it just made him angrier." I tell him.
"Please I really don't want to talk about it. I know Mags has to send me off tomorrow this is the last time I'm going to see you please just I can worry about Alexander tomorrow. Please just be here with me." I beg quietly my eyes finally meeting his. His handsome face is filled with stress and worry.
"Okay Kara I will. I'm here." His voice thick with emotion.
I find myself in the arms of Finnick Odair. My feet in his lap curled up against his side his big arm wrapped around me.
I feel safe in his embrace like tomorrow won't be the last day of my life.
"You did so good during your interview Kara."He tells me in a matter of fact tone.
"Thank you, I had a really good teacher." I tell him hiding a smile into his chest.
"The best."Finnick adds a smile on his face.
"No but honestly you blew the crowd away. You showed who you are to the world. You didn't need to pretend to be someone like every one else." He tells me playing with one of the curls.
"The capitol loves you now." He whispers his lips twitching up.
"Not as much as they love you though." I point out feeling Fin's body shake as he chuckles softly.
"They love me for all the wrong reasons Kara. They love you for you." He reminds me.
"You never told me tomorrow was your birthday." He tells me in confusion.
"You never asked plus. I figured it would be a low blow to have you watch me die on my birthday." I tell him getting a scoff.
"You aren't going to die Kara. I thought we have been through this already. You can't win if you keep doubting yourself. You just won't." He tells me frustration clear in his voice.
"I know I'm sorry old habits die hard. I'm just thinking about Annie and Dylon. They were crying Annie told me that she's going to lose me just like my sister. Dylon begged me not to go because no one comes back." I tell him sadly remembering that day that feels so long ago.
It's only been a week I remind myself.
"Why would he say that?" Fin wonders
"He doesn't understand I didn't have a choice. He's a child mentally. He doesn't have a clear understanding of the games and what they mean. He just knows that when the boy and girl leave every year they get hurt by the bad people and don't come back." I tell him but I feel like I'm almost reminding myself that Dylon didn't mean to hurt my feelings.
"It hurt me so bad that they didn't believe in me. I could handle my father punching me and screaming in my face about how I'm going to die. But the second Annie and Dylon didn't have faith in me I broke." My voice trembling with emotion his arms tighten around me.
"It hurts more than anything when someone you love doesn't believe in you." I tell him softly my head against his chest.
"I know Kara I'm so sorry." He whispers to me.
"Why are you sorry? You and Mags are the only people in the whole world that believe in me." I remind him.
"I'm sorry this is the life you have to live. You are literally the best and most  deserving person I've ever met."He tells me.
"One day things will be different." I promise him.
"I hope so Kara." He tells me softly.
"Finnick I have one last request." I tell him have made up my mind.
"Anything Kara." He tells me his eyes full of pain and hurt.
"If I die it will be because of Alexander. He told me something today and I don't want him to be right." I say quickly stumbling over my words.
"Kara please don't say that."he begs softly his eyes widens.
I start to tear up making him pull away and look me in the eyes.
"What did he tell you?" He asks almost angry.
"He said he will be my first and my last. Then he tried to kiss me. I don't want him to be my first kiss." I almost plead my cheeks almost on fire.
"Kara..." he warns softly touching my face.
"Please Finnick." I beg pressing closer to him.
"You promised me anything." I remind him softly. He swallows hard running his hands through his sandy blonde locks.
He shakes his head making my heart beat from my chest.
"Why not? You spend all of your free time with women from the Capitol you don't even know doing god knows what. I'm your friend and I'm going to be dead soon and you won't do this for me." I say my chest tightening tears falling down my face. My body stinging in rejection.
"You don't care for me. I'm so stupid forget I asked." I demand covering my face
"Kara please stop." He say moving close to me.
"Look at me." He practically begs.
"I care for you so much Karaline. It's not that I don't want to. It's that you deserve better than me being your first kiss. " Finnick's beautiful green eyes seem to almost beg me to understand.
"I don't care what I deserve. I want you to be my first kiss please Fin. Don't let him take that away from me. He will hurt me. You never hurt me." I say almost hysterically.
His face seems almost frozen watching me.
"Breathe Kara." His softly voice catching me off guard. He holds my face softly using his thumbs to wipe away my tears.
"You have to breathe for me." He begs as I breathe in and out softly. My eyes never leaving his.
"Close your eyes Karaline." He orders gently. My eyes shut the wind chilling me to my core.
I breathe out one more time before I feel Finnick's lips brush against mine softly.
I feel his hands cup my face gently almost as if I would break.
I have no idea what to do so I move my lips against his. It isn't a long kiss maybe lasting 20 seconds at the most. It made me feel warm even in the chilled air. He pulls away slowly searching my face.
"Thank you." I whisper pressing my face into his chest. His blazer almost the length of my dress. My hands hidden in the long sleeves.
"I was saving this for you tonight. You need to get rest." He tells me brining a vial out of his pants pocket.
"It will make me sleep?" I ask him getting a nod and a soft smile.
"Can I take it now? I'm so tired Fin." I ask him softly.
"Of course Kara." He whispers as I take the vial out of his hand and drinks the liquid quickly.
"Thank you Finnick." I whisper into his neck.
The last thing I feel before I fall into a deep sleep is Finnick kissing my forehead and picking me up.

Authors note.... I know I said she wouldn't have romantic feelings for him yet and she doesn't. The kiss wasn't them declaring their undying love for each other. It was an act of desperation and fear for Kara. Finnick needed to kiss her to comfort her. He also needs it for himself too. He could lose Kara and despite only knowing her for a short period of time he does have love for her. It's just not in a romantic way yet. Yes he does find her beautiful and amazing but he isn't allowing himself to open up and care for someone in a romantic way especially since she's a tribute and so young. They are both children if it isn't clear. Even though Finnick is 18 his growth emotionally is hindered by the abuse he is facing. He is new to being close to someone just like Kara. I know it seems like she's trusting him too easily and that they barely know eachother. Kara really doesn't have a choice her life is on the line.