Chapter 63

Okay... so I'm not exactly happy with how the previous chapter was written so I'm going to try to go back and change a few things. Just wanted to let you guys know. Writing chapters has been harder lately I guess I have a lot on my mind. I use to post two chapter a day! I know now I'm lucky if I get two chapters in a week. I'll do better guys I promise. Also the next chapters will be different situations not connected closely in time. Pretty much her preparing for the victory tour. There will be a two month gap until her victory tour (the second book). It will be clear what happens during that time. I hope you enjoy this! Let me know what y'all think.

Kara's POV

The first thing I feel as I wake up is the warm comfort I had been clutching onto abandoning me. A chill instantly creeps across my arms and legs. I open my eyes instantly regretting it. It's almost as if my eyes has been sewn shut I rub then hard trying to make my vision less blurry.
I see Finnick trying to be quiet walking to stretch his legs.

"You could have woken me up." I mutter sleepily. He turns to look at me a soft look crossing his face.

"I didn't mean to disturb you. You were so exhausted I figured you could use the rest." He says rubbing his face.

"How is he? What time is it?" I ask standing up my ankles cracking loudly.

"It's almost 8:30, He's in pain... he's woken up a few times. Asking for something. I couldn't figure out what." Finnick says walking to the man to check his breathing.

"I think I know what." I say yawning loudly reaching into the bed stand.

"He likes chewing tobacco..." I mutter to him. Finding a small circular container hitting it against my hand.

I walk past Finnick putting it next to my father's head so he could reach it.

"I've heard of smoking tobacco but where do you even find chewing tobacco?" Finnick asks confusion filling his voice. I look to him seeing his head tilted his lips twitching into an amused smile.

"The pub down the street... they sell it." I say quietly.

"About what I said last night...I know I didn't really make sense. I was really upset and exhausted. I don't care who my father is. Either way I don't have a father... he's either dead or a completely useless drunk. It doesn't bother me." I tell him not turning around looking at the swollen wounds on his back.

"It's okay Kara I understand. I just don't understand why you didn't say anything sooner?" His voice is raspy from exhaustion. It dawns on me that he's stayed up the whole night while I slept. I feel guilt creeping it's way into my mind.

"It really doesn't make a difference. I'll never know who my real father is. She wasn't just my uncle's lover Fin... she was cheating with some of her male patients. I could be a random man's kid." I say chewing my lip nervously.

"I need to get the swelling down." I tell Finnick getting a look of concern.

"Finnick... everything's okay, I promise. He survived the night which makes the likeliness of death decrease drastically. He will survive me leaving to get ice and you taking a nap while I'm gone."I say watching him sit on the bed.

"I'm okay Kara." He replies getting an eye roll from me as I brush my frizzy locks.

"Finnick... you are practically dead on your feet. Go lay down." I say pointedly passing him shrugging on my jacket I had laid out to dry.

"Well since you asked so nicely." Finnick replies sarcastically making me look at him.

"I'm always nice." I say automatically sharing a small smile with the man who lays in the bed like I asked him.

"Mhm." He hums smirking at me.

"Be safe... wake me up when you get back." He calls as I am leaving.

I can tell my appearance shocks the people walking the streets. I'm glad I brushed my hair or I would look crazier. I'm wearing a hooded blue jacket with faded grey cotton shorts that are rather short and my wet all black athletic shoes. I usually take more pride in my appearance per Valentines orders. But today is different I don't particularly care today.
I walk to the grocery store and get a large bag of ice and some pre made plates of food to feed Finnick, my father and I.
I make quick work of the walk back using the short cut I use to take to my house when walking home from school.

I breathe in deeply preparing myself to handle dealing with my father. As I step into the small house. I quickly put the bag of ice along his back making the man hiss in pain then relax. He tries speaking but I either shush him or ignore him until he realizes there is no use.

After a while I look over at Finnick's sleeping form. He looks so peaceful. His lips open slightly I watch as he breathes evenly every once in a while it hitches slightly.

I get my father's plate taking a seat next to him he claims he can barely move his arms so I have to feed him.
"So how is that big fancy Victors house?" He asks gruffly attempting to make small talk.
I ignore him shoving more food into the man's mouth.
"How do you sleep knowing you left your good ol' Dad in this dump?" He taunts I turn my glare to him.
"My big fancy house is very peaceful without you living in it. I don't have to worry about you throwing me against a wall and bruising my back and ribs because I asked for food." I snap harshly.
"And I sleep very peacefully knowing I don't have to wake up to you locking me in the bathroom so you can use our rent money to pay prostitutes to sleep with you." I finish coldly shoving a spoonful of rice into his mouth.

"Who do you think you are Karaline?" He asks harshly.

"I don't know who I think I am... but I know that I'm not your daughter." I reply harshly. Remembering his rant about not being his daughter.
His veins in his neck strain agains his skin in anger.

"Blood relation or not what kind of man mistreats a child?" I ask interrupting his heated response shaking in anger.

"I'm leaving... good luck." I say standing up packing Finnick and I's bags.
He tries to stutter what I can't tell whether they are pleads or curses and I don't care.
"One last thing... if you test me. Say another fucking word about me... I remember how painful slapping someone's whip lashes are.... don't you remember Joshua? Hmm? It would be a shame I returned the favor..."I hiss lowly into his ear. I walk to Finnick shaking him softly. He wakes up quickly seeing the look on my face.
"What's wrong?" He asks sitting up quickly grabbing my arms.
"We need to leave." I whisper meeting his worried green eyes. I try to pull away but his grip tightens slightly.
"What's- Kar..." he stutters tiredly.
"We are leaving Fin." I state giving him a moment to wake up. He still seems still half way asleep. He carries a bag while I carry our food.
"Have a good life Joshua." I say coldly before leaving the house.
"What happened back there?" Finnick asks before tugging my arm to stop my stride.

"He wanted to taunt me. I helped him and he wanted to be an asshole. So he obviously doesn't need my help." I say breathing out.

"Let's get you home Kar." He says before touching my lower back leading me home. His fingers at time gripping my shirt or rubbing softly clearly trying to calm me down.
We split ways he goes to his house to sleep and I go to mine to prepare for Dylon's visit later today. Not before him kissing my forehead whispering if I need anything to come get him.

When I step into my empty house I finally let the tears I had been fighting fall and after that they don't stop. I'm so tired of it all. All the pressure... the abuse from students, the endlessly high expectations the Capitol and everyone has for me... the even higher ones I have for myself. My father's ungrateful ways. Nothing I can ever do will be enough. Not enough for the Capitol, the other students and most of all myself. I need to be better. I have to be stronger. I need to be stronger.