Chapter 53

I realize just how bad my hands are hurt when I wake up with them stinging painfully. I sit up in the bed drinking the water Finnick left on the table next to the bed. I take one of the pain pills he left for me.
I find my way shakily to my feet. Walking is difficult but not impossible like it had been yesterday.
There are two bags next to the bed I dig into them finding a toothbrush it's painful but I barely manage to brush my teeth.
It's a few moments later when I'm trying to brush my hair I growl in frustration and pain. I throw the plastic brush making it bounce against the wall.
"Good morning sleeping beauty...Need help love?" Finnick's deep voice sounds my eye flashing to the very shirtless Finnick. My face must look as if it's been lit on fire. Partial nudity is a very common thing in district 4 many men walk to street with just trousers during the summer. Most people in our district walk around with little to no clothes on because it's so hot all the time. I don't know why seeing Finnick without a shirt on affected me in this way. He's just so perfect it makes my insides feel weird.
"You slept in today..." He says quietly.
"How late is it?" I question.
"It's 10:00 Kara." His words shock me. I've always... and I mean always have been a early riser.
"Why are simple things so difficult?" I sigh as he walks to pick up the bright orange and yellow brush Lorie had bought me.
"You got 18 stitches Kara." He reminds me shaking his head.
"I know." I deadpan.
"If you'd like... I can brush your hair for you Kara." He offers walking to the bed most likely taking notice of my blushing face but not saying anything.
"Please?" I ask knowing there is no point in arguing. I can't brush my hair and I can't walk around looking like a mop all day.
"I'm tender headed." I warn him as he sits behind me.
I feel his warmth radiating from him as he gently works his way from the ends of my hair upward. Gently brushing the tangles from my hair.
"How are you good at this?" I wonder relaxing I know he didn't have any sisters.
"After my father died my mother became to depressed to work. She was unresponsive for about a year. I dropped out of the academy and started working with my boss William as a deck hand. I would come home and brush her hair for her while I cooked dinner for Greg. It kept her calm." He tells me softly.
"Oh... Greg is your brother?" I ask hesitantly he had never said much about his family.
"My baby brother yes." He says I can hear the pain in his voice.
"You don't have to talk about them if you don't want to." I tell the man trying not to upset him.
"I've told you before... it's okay to ask. My brother was three years younger than me his name was Gregreon." His voice shakes slightly
"What were they like? Your family?" I ask curiously.
"My father died when I was 12. My mother said I was always just like him. I was very close with him... while my brother was my mother's son. I wanted to be like my Father when I grew up. I wanted to be a fisherman... I wanted to be a family man... to lead a simple life. My mother was a school teacher she taught English which I guess where my love for literature and poetry came from." He tells me. I don't like not being able to see his face it makes me anxious. I don't know how he's reacting to my questions.
Finnick said all he wanted was to be a family man... but he parties and spends time with Capitol women in his free time instead of settling down with one woman and starting a family. He chose the life of a bachelor over what he's always wanted. He's young but most people in our district marry right out of school. He doesn't even seem interested in settling down anymore. I wonder what changed?
"While my brother Gregreon was quiet and really shy around everyone. The second he got home his mouth was running faster than his lungs could take in air." He says fondly I can almost imagine his lips twitching up into a sad smile.
"They sound wonderful Fin." I say not exactly knowing what to say.
"They were the best." He agrees running the brush one last time through my hair gently.
"There we go." He tells me as I turn around to look at him. He hands me the brush.
"Mags is having an early lunch for us." He informs me.
"Get dressed and we can walk over to Mags' house." He tells me.
"Unless you need help getting dressed." He cuts in trying to fight a smile at my flustered reaction.
"No thank you." I stutter literally the last thing I need is a shirtless Finnick helping me change clothes.
"Okay Kara I'll be outside." He says closing the door.
I look into the bag Finnick packed for me choosing a pair of tights and a sweatshirt. I slide my shoes from yesterday on. I meet Finnick outside of his spare room finding him with a shirt this time. He lets me grab his arm so he can help me down the stairs safely.

"Good morning Kara!" Mags says greeting me with a kiss on the cheek.
"Morning." I say yawning loudly getting a chuckle from Finnick.
"How are you possibly tired? You slept all yesterday and even slept in this morning. I've never seen you sleep past 8:00." He teases as we sit at the table.
"I was tired..." I answer defensively.
"We know beautiful. Fin is just messing with you. He likes getting you all worked up." Mags reminds me kindly smiling at us.
"I know." I reply quietly taking the water when offered.
"How are you feeling?" Finnick asks me taking a seat next to me.
"They hurt..." I tell him quietly trying to stretch my hand.
"Come with me let's come clean and change the gauze." Finnick offers leading me to the bathroom where Mags has a first aide kit. He sits me on the toilet cover while he sits on the edge of the bathtub. He unwraps my hands gently letting me see just how much damage I did to my hands. I flinch at the horrible state of them. He disinfects my hands causing them to burn harshly making me hold back tears. He puts a jell liquid medicine to help with the irritated skin around the stitches.  I can't close my hands or open them all the way.  I look at his face the whole time. A look of disgust or pity is nowhere to be seen on his handsome features.
"You have to stop doing this to yourself." He tells me gently as he wraps my hands tightly.
"I don't know how." I tell him my eyes not daring to meet his.
"We will figure something out... something to help." He promises saving Mags' first aid kit.
When we arrive she's finishing lunch for us all.
"How did the meeting go?" Finnick asks Mags who now I realize is dressed in very nice clothes obviously from the Capitol.
"Let's sit on the deck...eat and we can talk about it." She says as we all find our way to the deck.
"What meeting?" I question softly between bites.
"There was an investigation about your teacher Mr. Prescott and what he did yesterday. We had a meeting this morning to decide whether he intentionally played your games to hurt you." She tells me honestly making my body tense in anger at his name.
"He meant it." I say simply stabbing my food with my fork.
"We know love." Finnick tells me comfortingly.
"The board agreed with us." Mags says making me look up at her hopefully.
"You will be receiving a new government teacher." She tells me smiling patting my hand.
"What made them believe us?" I ask almost smiling at the small feat.
"There were security cameras filming the class little flower." She tells me making me nod.
"He was practically taunting you Karaline." Mags tells me her eyes sad.
"I know." I say sighing knowing where this conversation is going.
"Why didn't you leave the room?" Finnick asks I can tell it's been a question he's been wanting to ask.
"I can't show them weakness." I tell them bitterly.
"Leaving isn't you showing weakness." Mags tells me clearly taken aback by my sudden mood change.
"It shows cowardice.." I reply shaking my head
"I couldn't let Prescott win." I tell them frustrated they don't understand.
"Not everything is a win or lose situation Kara." Finnick says i know he doesn't mean it to come out harsh but it does.
"Isn't it?" I ask back quickly making a frustrated look cross Finnick's face.
"No Kara it isn't." He tells me.
"Let's agree to disagree." Mags inserts herself before our conversation could become heated.
I can tell he isn't angry with me. He's just frustrated. Mags says we but heads occasionally because we are both so stubborn and hard headed.
"I had an essay due yesterday." I suddenly remember.
"For English class... I didn't turn it in." I realize groaning.
"Don't worry about it I've called your teachers they know your situation and they have sent the work and given you extensions on your assignments." Mags tells me patting my hand to keep me from stressing.
"You are such a nerd." Finnick teases trying to settle the slight tension between us.
"That hurts my feelings coming from a secondary school drop out such as yourself." I say sarcastically rolling my eyes.
"Technically, I finished school with a tutor and online." He informs me.
"I didn't say you didn't finish school. I said you dropped out of secondary school...which you did." I say simply.
"She's got you there Fin." Mags tells him smiling.
"Someone has to keep him on his toes." I tell the older woman a smug smile on my face.
For the rest of the morning we sit and laugh almost forgetting the last 24 hours happened. No one spoke about my stitches, about the cruel kids at school or that asshole Prescott. We just talked and I loved every second of it.