Chapter 26

My body leaps up in a start. My arms and legs trembling hard still numb from the cold. I prepare myself to take off. Feeling the overwhelming urge to run. I don't know where. I don't know how. I need to run. My eyes blurred I can't see anything. Someone's figure approached me. Kale he's going to kill me.
I am restrained. I yank harshly at my restraints my eyes blinded by bright lights.
I feel something sharp pierce my neck as I take almost a leap into darkness again. I'm dead.

I hear an annoying beeping in my ears. I'm still cold so cold at least I can feel my hands and feet. I try to open my eyes they are so heavy. I hear people's voice buzzing around me. Someones voice arguing in the distance. I stir softly trying to move someone touches my hand softly holding it firmly. I can feel someone stick another needle into me. What's with this place and shoving bloody needle into people. I realize who sticks needles into a dead person. I'm not dead I realize. I'm alive. I won. My body relaxes and I slack into darkness.

When I wake again my arms aren't restrained. My eyes are blurry as they adjust to the bright lights in the room. I rub my eyes roughly that moment I realize someone is standing next to my bed. My whole body jerks away harshly.
"Woah woah Miss Mathis." The man says holding his hands in an attempt to calm me.
I realize the room I'm in is a painfully bright hospital room.
"Who are you?" I cry softly shuffling away.
"I'm Dr. Edwin" the middle aged man tells me his hair a pale blue color.
He reaches to touch me.
"Don't touch me please. Where am I?" I panic quietly my voice raw.
"You are at the training center Miss Mathis." He answers me quietly.
"You aren't going to stab me with another needle are you?" I ask sitting as far away from the man as possible.
"I promise no more needles Karaline." He tells me.
"I'm here for your mental evaluation to make sure you are mentally sound enough to be trusted within society again." He tells me his voice sounding soft as if trying not to scare me.
"Why wouldn't I be mentally sound?" I ask overwhelmed.
"I was sad and felt guilty. I killed other human beings." I snap defensively.
"I'm not crazy." I tell him.
"I never said you were crazy Miss Mathis." He tells me.
"Then what exactly are you saying?" I ask tiredly.
"Just a few questions and you can rest and eat some food. Then you will be fit to see your mentors." He says soothingly.
"Okay." I whisper in defeat.
"What is your name?" Dr. Edwin asks me.
"Karaline Delilah Mathis." I reply getting a nod.
"How old are you?" Is his next question.
"I'm thirteen. I was twelve when I was reaped." I tell him.
"What district are you from?"
"Four." I answer automatically.
"Who are your mentors?" He questions.
"Mags and Finnick." I reply my chest hurting I miss then so much. Mag's loving smile Finnick's warmth.
"Do you ever wish you were dead?" I look at him shocked.
"No." I tell him.
"Why don't you want to be touched?" He asks me a thin electrical tablet in his hands. I look at him wondering if he has a brain and who gave him a medical degree.
"I just don't like being touched by anyone. Especially strangers." I tell him.
"Do you feel the urge to harm others?" He asks me. I almost laugh at him.
"Not normally. Only in self defense." I tell him honestly.
The questioning goes on and on until I guess he's satisfied. He stands there tapping the tablet.
"Get some rest Karaline." He tells me.
"I want to see Mags and Finnick." I tell him.
"You need to get rest. You will see them soon I promise. If you don't follow directions I'm told to inject you. I really don't want to do that. It will make my job harder and you will have to wait longer until you can see your mentors" He tells me getting an obedient nod.
I struggle for a while before falling into a deep sleep plagued with nightmares.

When I wake up no one is in the room with me. But there is a bowl of soup and a glass of water on the table next to my bed.
I slowly pick the tray up sitting it on my lap.
I eat the food my hands trembling. I drink some of the water between spoon fulls until I can't eat anymore.
I glance around my eyes finding a pile of neatly folded clothes on the chair across the room.
I slowly stand up from the bed my legs feeling particularly weak from not using them in several days. I think now it's been 3 days since the arena. I take the hospital gown off my body. I lost so much weight in the arena. It shouldn't have been possible. It was almost three weeks. I look at my reflection in the window in the corner of the room. I can count each of my ribs now my collarbone prominent. My already pale skin almost transparent. A bit of roundness is back into my face.
I realize the scar from Vera's knife is gone. I still have the whip marks on my back those aren't gone. Every bruise and scar I received from the hunger games with is gone.
I dress in the identical clothes Valentine dressed me in all those weeks ago. I slide my sisters necklace back on.
My hair curling naturally down my back. My once dirty nails are clean and shaped to perfect ovals.
I step towards the door my nerves getting the better of me. I open it and at the end of the hallways stands Mags Fin Valentine and Jasabell.
I resist the urge to throw myself at them I just freeze my eyes wide I can't look them in the eyes. Mags is the first person to move. She opens her arms for me. I feel tears leaving my eyes as I walk into her arms. I feel my body shaking hard in her arms.
"I'm so proud of you little flower." She whispers softly petting my hair.
"It was you. I won for you." I tell her finally finding my voice.
"You'll never have to watch anymore children die." I say my voice cracking.
She pulls back cupping my face gently wiping my tears with her fingers.
The next person I'm faced with is Finnick. His eyes are full of pride and relief.
Every cell of my body wants to run when Fin pulls me into a tight hug.
My whole body tenses for a moment as my face is hidden into his stomach.
This is Fin he won't hurt me. I repeat over and over my spine still straight. I try to relax into the hug.
"I'm so happy you're okay." He tells me pulling back.
"Define okay." I reply softly through tears sarcasm clear in my voice. He laughs softly brushing my tears from my eyes.
I'm safe now. Only a few more days and I'm going to be home. Annie and Dylon are waiting for me.
For the first time in a while I feel excitement and happiness for the future. I'm going home. It really sinks in. I won. I beat the odds.