Darker Than Night

"Why?! Why'd you do it?!" Demencia yelled.

"I only did it because we'd get in trouble! He'd bash our skulls in if we'd waltzed in with that neon mess in our hands!"

"Mess?"

"No! That's not what I meant--"

"So did you lie just to hurt me? ""Oh it's so nice! Wow those colors really go well together! Nice job Demencia!"" were you just trying to trick me?" She drew in a ragged breath, voice cracking. Flug could feel his heart break.

"No Demencia please just listen to me!"

"You could have just told me and I would have understood! But to do it behind my back? I've done all I can for you and have bent over backwards trying to help you out and actually be nice to you! And this is what I get in return? I'm done dealing with you." She threw up her hands then stomped away from him.

The hybrid left the lab, slamming the door behind her. The rattle shook all the glassware, threatening to break them. He looked down at his black gloves. The paint that ruined one of the few friendships he had had. He winced.

A tear bubbled over his cheek and ran down his face. It dropped onto the big, empty floor below him. He dropped onto the ground and held his head in his stained hands. Why did he mess up everything? His stupid anxiety got the best of him and inevitably screwed him over.

He just wished he could fizzle away. He didn't want to be there right then. It was hard to cope with the welcoming loneliness coming back into his life. No more humming, no more dumb questions, no more smiles or laughter for him.

Just this waste of space and a lab.