Brighter Than White

The bright pink and yellow converter sat before the two imbeciles. They glanced at each other, then looked back down at the weapon.

Flug stared at the converter in amazement. It reminded him of Demencia.

She elbowed him in the side, giving him a wink.

"Like my little touch?"

Flug looked towards what she gestured at. It was a big yellow frowny face sticker plastered onto the funnel.

He smiled, happy to see her actually enjoying herself while working with him. They would be broadcasting this with Black Hat tomorrow.

"Well I'm gonna get some sleep now," Demencia stretched, several bone popping noises emitted from her.

"So soon? You didn't even eat dinner yet."

"Hey! I gotta look nice on camera tomorrow!"

Flug looked at the mirror across the room, slightly doubting his looks. Could he wear something else besides the usual? It would probably be too much of a change. There wasn't anything he could change about himself subtly.

He sighed while watching her dart out the room.

The days were going by so fast and sometimes Flug couldn't even keep up with reality. All he knew was the lab and the coffee machine.

The tired doctor trudged out the lab, then into his room. He went through his usual routine then snuggled under his comforter.

Tomorrow they'd present the deadly weapon to Black Hat! He would walk in with the converter on the usual red cushion, then present it to him. Black Hat would snarl at it.

Wait.

"Why would... We can't do this. Cut the camera!" Black Hat shouted, distorting the feed.

He swiveled around to face Flug, who was already visibly shaking. His fingers trembled and threatened to drop the red cushion he held.

"This disgusting choice of colors infuriates me. What the hell were you on? Did you not think for one second, ""Wow, we're villains! Maybe we shouldn't shit an entire rainbow on this fucking weapon!"

Flug shot up straight, drawing in laboured breaths. He could already feel himself freaking out. The room began to twirl, slowly.

He sprinted out the room, nearly tripping into the lab and out of breath. He grabbed the gun from it's holder and smacked it down on the desk. Flug slid on his gloves then took one last look at the colors.

"Disgusting choice of colors"

The doctor, out of blinding fear, pulled down a can of black spray paint. His shaky hands worked off the top and pressed down on the nozzle.

"How about blue?"

Paint dribbled down from the converter, onto his gloves, then onto the white flooring below him. The once bright yellow smiley had been masked. Every little intricate detail Demencia poured into her heart into, masked.

"Blue... isn't a bad color."

Black paint had now covered the entire weapon. Flug stepped back.

"But now pink doesn't actually seem that bad"

His conscience didn't feel right. He knew. He knew that what he was doing was wrong.

Flug just wanted to impress Black Hat for once.

...

"Hello villains! Have you ever dreamt of watching your so-very hated heros squirm before you? Or maybe you just want to see them perish. Well, this product will do both!"

Black Hat looked over his shoulder, waiting for Flug to step in with the weapon. Demencia was planted beside Black Hat, waiting to be tested on. There was an EpiPen right off set to help her with the throat swelling.

Seconds passed, making her anxious. He was supposed to be here with it hours ago.

Suddenly, he came into the room off camera.

Her eyes landed on the pitch black converter.

"This weapon will quickly shut the throat of your enemy, rendering them breathless! If used correctly, you may actually get rid of them!"

"You will get rid of them," Black Hat corrected. He picked up the converter and aimed it at Demencia, his face stretching into a twisted grin.

She looked at the item being held. Time slowing. Her breath slowing.

Before they knew it, Demencia collapsed into a heap on the floor, a choking mess. Cambot panned away.

"Want to see more? Buy it for yourself. We guarantee a fast, yet tortuous death."

5.0.5 bounded into the room and stabbed Demencia with the EpiPen.

"That went oodly well. I'll be watching sales to see how many we need," Black Hat left the room.

A silence fell upon the room aside from Demencia's quiet, rapid breaths. 5.0.5 seemed worried, but still held his composure.

"Black. You painted the gun black..." Her voice was a bit raspy.

"Demencia..." Flug began to walk over to her.

"Don't come over here."

She gave him a long, cold, and hard stare.

"Why?! Why did you do it?!"