04 | THE GOLDEN TRUTH

AFTER HAVING DINNER AT THE ANDREWS' house, Billy Andrews was now under the impression that Samantha Vanderbilt had fallen for him

AFTER HAVING DINNER AT THE ANDREWS' house, Billy Andrews was now under the impression that Samantha Vanderbilt had fallen for him. She should have just told him no, she didn't like him. But, she couldn't find the words. Samantha had never wanted to get into this mess - never wanted to get wrapped up in wealthy family non-sense.

But, at this point, Samantha had two options. One - she would go along with the mess she had made, pretend to like Billy, and keep all of her friendships together until Gilbert returned. Or, two - tell the truth and face the cruel punishment. Who knows, last year could have been nothing compared to this one.

The girls had finally excepted Samantha as she was, and she had made real friends. If she broke Billy's [cold] heart, and told them about Gilbert, she would lose everyone.

"Maybe that meant they weren't true friends..." Samantha thought to herself, then shook her head. "No, they are your true friends."

Sighing, Samantha ran her hands over her face miserably. This lie was eating her out rapidly, and she didn't know how to make the guilt go away.

But, it turned out that Samantha's lie wasn't the only one spreading in Avonlea. As the girl gazed out the window, she saw the carriage pull up to the estate.

Taking a deep breath, Samantha walked to the front door and pulled it open. To her surprise, the family didn't look as happy as she'd thought.

"I want you guys to act like ladies," Mrs. Barry spoke sternly. "Your childhood is over - you need to act more like Samantha."

As the girl stepped outside, Mrs. Barry raised an eyebrow then turned to her two daughters, "You see, girls?"

"See what?"

"Samantha uses proper etiquette," Mrs. Barry explained. "She must've learned much in London. But, since you girls won't be able to, you'll have to learn it here."

"Pardon me, but why won't they be able to learn in London?" Samantha questioned.

"We can't afford it," Mrs. Barry explained, dusting off her dress. "My husband so selfishly gave most of our money to the gold interest."

The only word Samantha could think of was, "Oh,"

As the family shuffled inside, Diana immediately grabbed Samantha's arm, dragging her upstairs to her room. As she quietly pushed the door closed, Diana turned to the girl.

"I've been waiting all weekend to ask," Diana spoke, taking a seat next to Samantha on her bed. "What trouble did you get yourself into with Billy Andrews?"

Samantha's breath hitched in her throat, at the mention of the boy. Sighing, she spoke, "How do you know-"

"I heard you say you were invited over there for tea before I left," Diana explained. "What on earth did you do?"