16 | ONE LAST CHANCE

SUNDAY MORNING WAS ALWAYS the most dreary of the week, especially since today, the grey clouds clogged up the sky — eliminating any source of light

SUNDAY MORNING WAS ALWAYS the most dreary of the week, especially since today, the grey clouds clogged up the sky — eliminating any source of light. Making use of a candlestick, Samantha placed it next to her bed as she attempted to read a chapter of Pride and Prejudice, to which Mr. Phillips had assigned for homework.

But, she couldn't help but shift her eyes away from the book and look out the window every few moments. The girl couldn't seem to focus on such story when she had her own problems that seemed to never leave her mind.

Just as Samantha was about to doze off into slumber, the knocking sound from the wooden door downstairs shot her upwards. Shutting the book closed, the girl slipped on her shoes and made her way downstairs immediately.

"Hello, I have a letter for Miss Samantha Vanderbilt here," The delivery man spoke to the maid, causing her to preform a small curtesy in thanks.

Just after the man left, Samantha rushed over to the maid and insisted that she hand her the letter. Without hesitation, the maid swiftly handed her the letter before scurrying off to the kitchens.

"Thank you, Mary Jo," Samantha called, taking the letter in her grasp and peeling its outer layer open.

Only one family from London would address her as Samantha Vanderbilt.

Maintaining a brief pause, the blonde girl took a deep breath to process what this could mean. She had been waiting on this letter for many weeks, and this might finally be it. Pulling out the piece of parchment, Samantha quickly unfolded the letter and began to read:

Dear Miss Samantha Darling,

Your Father and I are so very sorry to hear that your time in Avonlea was less than satisfactory. If it were up to us, we would have you sent straight back home. But, the choice is yours, my dear. Remember, your father and I support every decision you make — we will be with you always.
          When returning to the estate, you will certainly be able to adapt to your life. Though, now that His Highness has connected with your father, we will be attending events with the royal family much more. You will learn how to be a lady, and when you do, your possibilities will be endless. But, if you choose to stay, we can certainly wait until after college.
If it truly means this much to you, we can surely bring you home. There is a ship departing from Avonlea on the sixteenth of December if you would like to return to London. Please, remember that we love you and only want the best for you.

Love,
Mother

Lifting her gaze from the piece of paper, Samantha raised a hand to her forehead — processing what she had just read. If her mother had been telling the truth, then a ship would be departing from Avonlea in exactly three days.