13 | TWO CAN PLAY AT THIS GAME

IT HAD BEEN THREE DAYS SINCE the incident

IT HAD BEEN THREE DAYS SINCE the incident. Three days since Billy Andrews had "accidentally" broke Cole Mackenzie's wrist. But worst of all, it had been three days since Samantha Darling had spoken to Gilbert Blythe. The last words he said still pained her to think about.

"I stopped being myself the day you left for London," the voice repeated over and over in her mind.

Covering her hands on her face, Samantha sat on the edge of her bed, replaying the dramatic scene in her head over and over. She knew in her mind that she didn't have a choice to leave with her family or to stay in Avonlea.

Surely, Gilbert knew that.

As the girl released her hands from her face, she sighed — standing up from her seated position and making her way towards her bedroom window. As she draped open the curtains, she was faced with a perfectly white winter wonderland.

If only this hadn't been such harsh times, Samantha would have enjoyed the beautiful view. But, her mind continued to race — eliminating any comforting thoughts.

Letting out a silent groan, the girl lightly pressed her fingertips on the glass in front of her. The frozen dew dropped down onto them, causing her to rub her fingers together — absorbing the cold.

Then, as her soaked fingers dripped with cold residue, she placed them on her eyes — which were seen as red and puffy. The cold helped the physical swelling go down, but it did nothing for her tormented heart.

Sighing, the girl glanced over at the clock hanging by the right-hand side of the room. The time read seven thirty, which meant twenty minutes until school started. Honestly, Samantha Darling felt too sick to attend school.

But, she knew that if Gilbert Blythe noticed she wasn't at school, he would win. And Samantha didn't want to give up. She was not a quitter.

So, she placed a brave face on and unlocked her door — making her way out of the Barry house without a second glance at Diana seated at the table eating breakfast.

"Samantha!" Diana mumbled as food dropped from her mouth. "Wait for me!"

"Diana!" Mrs. Barry scolded, shocked that her daughter had preformed such unladylike actions.

Quickly swallowing, Diana apologized, "Sorry, mother. I best be going."

Mrs. Barry gave the girl a hesitant nod, letting Diana step away from the table. Breathing out a deep sigh, Diana tucked herself inside her coat.

"It sure is a beautiful morning," Diana announced, causing Samantha to cringe away at her natural-born enthusiasm. "What's gotten you all up in a hurry?"

Taking a few deep breaths, Samantha exhaled quietly. She really didn't want to have to put up with questioning, so she quickly answered, "I got up early."