10 | WHAT FRIENDS ARE FOR

IT HAD BEEN A FEW DAYS SINCE Samantha Darling had been out of the house — missing one day of school

IT HAD BEEN A FEW DAYS SINCE Samantha Darling had been out of the house — missing one day of school. It wasn't that she was sad, or remorseful, or sick. It was because she was thinking about her life — the decisions she had made, and what she would have to do to fix those mistakes.

Samantha Darling was in the mindset that she had to do this all on her own. After all, it was the only way she could, giving that Diana Barry and Anne Shirley-Cuthbert already had enough on their minds with Christmas coming up.

As the stressed-out girl gazed up at the ceiling from a laying position on her bed, she came across a memory.

"Come on!" Samantha cried, biting her lower lip as she crumpled up yet another piece of paper as she practiced her cursive handwriting. "Ugh, this is hopeless!"

"Hey, Samantha," Thomas spoke, walking into the room with Andrew — who slouched in a chair next to the girl. "What's got you in a mood?"

"I'm not in a mood," Samantha rolled her eyes, stressfully throwing the ink pen beside her. "I just can't write today!"

Picking up the crumpled piece of paper, Andrew studied the messy cursive. Looking up at the girl, the boy let out a soft chuckle, "It's not that bad."

"Maybe we can help," Thomas suggested, taking a seat at the other side of her.

"No, I need to do this myself," Samantha protested, pulling out a fresh piece of paper. "If I cant do it, then how will I ever be able to write a proper letter?"

"Alright, Miss Independent," Thomas spoke, leaning back in his seat and watching the girl attempt to write cursive again.

After a sentence, Samantha mixed up a cursive 'J' with a cursive 'Z'. Groaning frustratedly, she threw the pen down again.

"Relax, Samantha," Andrew joked, picking the pen up and sliding the piece of paper near him. "All you have to do is this..."

Showing her how to do a proper 'J', Andrew took her hand and repeated the action over and over. Sighing, Samantha looked up at the boy, "This is doing nothing."

"I'm sure it's going to help, trust me," Andrew assured the girl.

Furrowing her eyebrows at the two boys, Samantha asked, "Why are you helping me?"

"That's what friends are for, yeah?" Andrew replied, a grin forming on his face.

"Honestly," Thomas continued from the other side of her. "You're too worked up, Sam."

"...you don't always have to do everything by yourself, you know that?" Thomas finished.

"Yes I do," Samantha whined. "How else am I going to get things done?"