14 | NOT A FAIRYTALE

SAMANTHA DARLING DEBATED ON claiming the stomach flu

SAMANTHA DARLING DEBATED ON claiming the stomach flu. Or even a headache. Panic attack? Really, anything to get out of going to school. As the blonde lay in bed, she wondered if it would be worse if she stayed home. Groaning, the girl flipped to her other side — stressfully watching the clock beside her sounded, tick tick tick, as each second passed.

Ever since yesterday, her friends hadn't acknowledged her presence. Billy Andrews hadn't helped the situation either, for he had now been picking on Cole more than usual — knowing he still had Samantha.

The girl had been meaning to stand up to him, but she couldn't find herself to do it. Without the help of her friends, she was on her own. The emptiness inside her was all to familiar, yet this time, she didn't know how to push it away.

Then she thought of Gilbert and how he'd always talked about putting on a brave face. Even though Samantha was normally shy, maybe if she showed up to school, Gilbert would give her some at least some sympathy.

In hopes she could partially erase what she had done, Samantha stood from her laying position and went to go get ready for the day. Pulling out a long peach-colored day dress, Samantha ran a hand through her hair and thought to herself, "You need to do this."

Despite her drowsiness, the blonde made sure she would stand a little taller that day — even though the sight of Gilbert and Ruby made her feel terribly guilty.

The thing was, Samantha Darling didn't know if Gilbert was doing this on purpose, or if he was doing it because he truly had feelings for Ruby. Samantha could see the mischief in his eyes when he looked at her, but he also held kindness in them as well.

Gilbert Blythe was never one to use somebody — he was much to good of a person. But, if he was doing it only to get back at Samantha, then it was certainly not fair for Ruby Gillis. The poor girl had liked him for years, and if she ever found out, she would be devastated.

The walk to the schoolhouse was cold and silent. As the winds swept her blonde curls back, Samantha found herself trudging through the snow alone. Her usual companion, Diana, still hadn't forgave her for what she had done to Cole Mackenzie.

Neither had Anne, nor Clara.

Silence to the girl was almost as unfamiliar as the feeling of guilt in her stomach. But, both were present, and both were not going away any time soon.

After a gust of wind passed the girl, it forcefully knocked the basket from her hands down onto the snow — drenching her lunch with cold, melted, ice.

"Goodness," Samantha muttered under her breath as she bent down to retrieve her fallen items.

Quickly grabbing each item one by one, she noticed the presence of another. Slowly shifting her gaze upwards, she was met with sly black eyes — the eyes of an animal.