21 | OLD FRIENDS

21 | OLD FRIENDS

LATER THE NEXT AFTERNOON, Samantha Darling was lounging on the sofa, enjoying a steaming cup of tea, while Diana Barry was practicing her piano in the next room

LATER THE NEXT AFTERNOON, Samantha Darling was lounging on the sofa, enjoying a steaming cup of tea, while Diana Barry was practicing her piano in the next room. Clara Mackenzie had sent a letter earlier that morning saying she would be joining the girls for breakfast, so when the doorbell rang, Samantha Darling didn't hesitate to answer.

"Good morning," Clara Mackenzie's sweet voice rang through their ears. Beside the girl stood a familiar tall, blonde boy with a smile plastered on his face. "I hope you don't mind I brought Cole."

"Oh, no," Samantha shook her head, giggling softly. "The more the merrier. It's nice to see you again, Cole. I've missed you at school."

"I've missed you too. But, just letting you know, I'm never going back..." Cole trailed, shifting awkwardly as his eyes gazed down at the floor.

It was true, Cole Mackenzie was never going back to school. The incident happened the day Samantha Darling was seen at the docks, about to board the ship to London, England. Without her presence nor Gilbert's, neither of the two were able to help the boy. Rumor had it that Billy Andrews set him up, which made Samantha infuriated.

By the words of Diana Barry and Clara Mackenzie, the boy stood up to Mr. Phillips when he was to get punished for something he didn't do. After defending himself, Cole stormed out of the classroom — never to be seen in the schoolhouse again.

"Won't you come in?" Samantha asked, breaking the silence and pulling the door open wider. "I've made tea."

"Thank you," The two siblings chorused, flashing the girl appreciative smiles before entering.

As the three filed into the drawing room, Diana Barry let out a squeal of excitement. Skipping over, the raven haired girl pulled Clara and Cole into a tight hug.

"How have you been?" Diana asked, stepping away and facing the two with a beaming smile. "It's so good to see you, Cole. We didn't get to talk much at the wedding..."

"Right," Cole answered, running a hand over the back of his neck awkwardly. "I've been alright — working on my sculptures most of the day."

"How delightful," Diana replied, ushering the two to the couch. As the four sat, the girl let out a sigh and began. "Mother is away, so it's just going to be us. Apparently there is going to be a new teacher now that Mr. Phillips has..."

"Resigned from his position," Samantha finished, a smug expression appearing on her face. "Honestly, if I may be frank, I'm glad we are going to have a new teacher."