24 | THE UNEXPECTED INJURY

SAMANTHA DARLING HAD NOT REMEMBERED WHEN SHE started running, only that she was moving at a faster speed than she ever had before

SAMANTHA DARLING HAD NOT REMEMBERED WHEN SHE started running, only that she was moving at a faster speed than she ever had before. The shattering sounds of breaking glass and ear-piercing gunshots -- followed by multiple voices -- sounded through the area as the blonde raced towards the scene. Samantha could feel the darkness drawing closer to her and pressing down, suffocating her as she raced quickly through the branches of the wooden trees. The moonlight was shadowed, and Samantha had to squint, only to see a path of darkness and uncertainy ahead.

"I guess nobody was home," A voice sang from a short distance, causing the blonde to quicken her pace.

It took all but a few moments to see what had caused such a fright. The scene was unbelievable, shocking in the most terrible way. Samantha's mind was faltering, unable to comprehend or process the images that were being sent by her eyes.

Standing before her, Billy Andrews and two of his friends were seen destroying a small, beautifully built fort along with several pieces of art that decorated the area. The once standing sculptures were now scattered in shreds as Billy Andrews shot them one by one. By the time Samantha Darling had arrived, almost everything was completely and utterly destroyed.

"Billy, what the hell do you think you're doing?" The piercing shriek of Samantha's cry sending all three pairs of eyes to fall on her in shock.

Billy Andrews, not recognizing the voice right away, immediately held his gun up at the figure. Samantha Darling inhaled sharply, her heart racing as Billy spoke harshly, "Who are you?"

"Put the gun down," Samantha ordered, clenching her fists at her sides.

Billy Andrews only held his gun tighter, "Not until you show yourself."

"Billy..." Samantha trailed off, slowly stepping forward into the moonlight with her hands raised innocently. "Put. The. Gun. Down."

It was then Billy Andrews was able to recognize the blonde, causing him to immediately drop the gun in his hands. The shock in his eyes were followed by the gape of his mouth. The boy was at loss of words, his mind immediately searching for some type of excuse that lead him to do this.

"Samantha..." Billy whispered.

Guilt gnawed at his insides as he took a step towards the girl in the shadows, who he could barely see, but was certainly able to identify. But, with each step he took towards her, the blonde took another step back.

Samantha shook her head, "If you come near me, I'll run. And I'll tell everybody what you've done."

Samantha Darling could see the hurt in his eyes, but she didn't feel any sympathy. It was anger to which blocked out any other emotion that she felt for the boy. Anger, to which sent her over the edge. The girl glared at him coldly, asking him, "Whose was it, Billy?"