19 | SEBASTIAN'S INJURY

IT HAD BEEN ABOUT A WEEK SINCE Samantha made the brave choice to follow her heart and stay in Avonlea to finish school

IT HAD BEEN ABOUT A WEEK SINCE Samantha made the brave choice to follow her heart and stay in Avonlea to finish school. Shortly after their return, Gilbert broke the news to Ruby Gillis that he was in love with Samantha Darling. The small girl was heartbroken, and it took days of comforting to return her back to a stable state. Surely, the girl had not deserved any heartbreak she got. Ruby Gillis was a hopeless romantic, and all she truly needed in this world was for someone to love her.

The voices of Samantha's schoolmates knocked her out of her thoughts, sending her back to reality.

"Diana, you're such a dear," Prissy gushed as she examined the silver coin in Diana's grasp. "Thank you. Now I have everything I'll need for the perfect wedding."

"Are you sure you want to go through with this?" Samantha asked, lifting an eyebrow. "Marriage is the greatest commitment of all, Prissy."

"Of course," Prissy answered, straightening her posture. "I am ready to enter womanhood. My childhood had come to an end."

Letting out a sympathetic sigh, Samantha nodded in response and glanced over at Gilbert Blythe, who was deep in conversation with Cole Mackenzie.

"Prissy, do you have a bridal vail?" Anne questioned.

"I'm going to wear my mother's," Prissy answered, turning to the rest of the girls. "It's a tradition in our family."

"You should keep this sixpence and hand it down to your daughters," Anne suggested, reaching her arm out to Prissy.

Before the girl could take it, Josie Pye entered with a smug expression — taking the sixpence herself. Lifting an eyebrow, Josie asked the group, "What are we buying?"

"Diana got a genuine sixpence for Prissy, all the way from London," Ruby gushed admiringly.

Letting out a soft laugh, Diana answered, "I wrote to the boys Samantha introduced me to at the Royal Ball...Charlie and Andrew, I think?"

"You wrote to them?" Samantha asked, wide eyed.

"Of course," Diana answered. "I miss them dearly, Samantha. Maybe you could write to your parents and ask if they could visit?"

"That would be lovely," Samantha replied, feeling a mischievous smile playing at her lips. It would be an excellent idea.

What if one of them began to fancy Ruby?

Sighing, Diana dusted her skirts and continued, "I'm just glad it got here in time."

"Something old, something new..."

"Something borrowed, something blue..."

"And a silver sixpence in her shoe."

As the girls let out a few giggles, Josie Pye glared at Anne and spoke, "Sounds painful."