17 | THE DEPARTURE

17 | THE DEPARTURE

THE DOCKS WERE CROWDED WITH sailors and workers loading and unloading cargo

THE DOCKS WERE CROWDED WITH sailors and workers loading and unloading cargo. The day was cold and breezy, but still held tolerable mid-winter temperature. The sky was clouded with grey, intimately blocking away any source of light. The weather made Samantha feel a ping of sadness in her stomach.

As Samantha Darling stood before the ship that would sail her back home, she desperately tried to block away the painful thoughts that were constantly stirring in her mind.

The blonde had hardly slept the night before, none of the Barry's had either. Some of them were still clueless as to why Samantha was leaving on such short notice, which made the goodbyes much worse. As for Diana, the sweet cousin had forgiven Samantha and begged her not to go. But, Samantha insisted she had to.

She hadn't wanted to see Cole nor Clara, hadn't bothered saying goodbye. It would just be all too painful to see their reactions. Samantha thought it be best to let them find out from someone else. By the time they found out, Samantha would be long gone.

As for Gilbert Blythe, Samantha wished he would forget all about her. Ever since the incident on Monday, she felt it be best that she disappeared from his life completely. Although she hoped it hadn't turned out this way, Samantha wished the best for Ruby and Gilbert.

After all, that's all Samantha ever wanted. She wanted Gilbert Blythe to find happiness with whatever he did. That's why if she truly loved him, she had to let him go.

He would be happier.

The ship captain bellowed a five minute warning, signaling to the crew to pick up their pace. The sailors immediately doubled their efforts as they prepared to leave the harbor. Passengers began to file onto the ship, carrying their large packed luggage with them.

As a cold, salty breeze brushed back her blonde hair, Samantha swallowed hard. When watching the small waves crash onto the harbor, the girl took a deep breath. Shifting her eyes towards the clock at the station, she read the numbers 9:55.

Five minutes.

Taking a step forward, the girl grasped her bags in her hands as she began to make her way onto the large ship.

"Wait!" A voice shouted.

Halting in place, the girl nearly dropped her bags. As the girl slowly turned, she gently set her bags down and searched for the voice. Samantha Darling froze as the figure jogged up to her, and didn't move even when she found herself looking into his brown eyes.

"Don't do this," Gilbert pleaded.

For only a moment, a feeling of relief washed over the girl. But, just as fast as it came, it turned into a feeling of sour anger. Furrowing her eyebrows, Samantha inquired, "What are you doing here?"