26 | TO LOVE AND TO CHERISH

26 |  TO LOVE AND TO CHERISH

"A TEACHER IS EXPECTED TO ENFORCE RULES, and keep order

"A TEACHER IS EXPECTED TO ENFORCE RULES, and keep order. They must teach obedience, faith, respect for elders, and morality. These are the tenets of education..." The sound of the Minister's voice trailed from above.

"Watch your step...be careful...watch your step..." Anne reminded the group of friends as they made their way up the stairs to the town hall.

Samantha Darling gazed down at the room filled of adults as she arrived on the top balcony. From above, the blonde was able to listen to the Minister list a long set of rules that teachers should be following. But, all she heard was a bunch of non-sense.

It was when the children began to create their light-bulb experiment when the sound of the double doors from below creaked open. Scooting to the edge, the group of friends watched below, only to find Miss Stacy; who was dressed in a pair of mens trousers.

"Miss Stacy!" shouted Mrs. Lynde, whose face scrunched as she watched the woman advance towards the meeting.  "If you don't mind, we're trying to conduct a meeting! I don't recall your presence being requested!"

Miss Stacy only smirked, "Indeed, my presence was not requested, but I feel I have a right to speak on my own behalf."

The room of adults began to fill with chatter, and after a moment of silence, Mrs. Lynde took a seat and leaned forward with open ears. Samantha Darling turned to Gilbert Blythe with hope flashing in her eyes, and recognized he held the same hope as well.

As for Miss Stacy, she turned to the room sympathetically, speaking up, "It would be easier on all of us if I left. You cannot imagine that I want to cause dissent in your community, or that I appreciate being accused of purposely doing so..."

The former teacher paused for a moment, turning to glance shortly at Mr. and Mrs. Andrews. She then continued, "I'm here tonight because I asked myself a question that I ask you now: What is the most important thing to focus on when regarding your children's education? Petty jealousy? Prejudice? Fear?"

Miss Stacy stopped when she arrived at the front of the town hall, facing the crowd. "The important question to ask yourself is: Are your children learning? I believe the answer is yes."

"We have to hurry," whispered Anne.

Samantha nodded, taking one last glance down before hoisting herself up and helping the others gather the experiment. When arriving to the lower level, Anne opened the box and handed each of them a potato-lightbulb.

"This'll show them," Clara Mackenzie whispered to Samantha, who giggled in reply.

After each member of the group received a potato-lightbulb and formed two lines of entry, Anne spoke to them, "Alright, let's do this."

And so, the large group of children entered. With their heads held high, they advanced towards the front of the room with bright smiled blasted on their young faces. As for the parents, they were filled with shock and confusion. But, that felling soon dispersed as smiled crept onto their faces as well.