4 - Fjórða

I hurried to get to my apartment building. I am trained and have the confidence to fight if put in a situation like that, but that eerie feeling of being watched is just putting me on edge.

I live in a small apartment not too far from the University. It's all I can afford with my part-time and savings.

It was in terrible condition when I got there, but I've fixed it up and made it quite cozy.

I sighed in relief when I saw the familiar building. I entered my apartment and locked the door.

I freshened up and decided to work on the implementation of some algorithms we were working on today.

I was feeling quite drowsy when I heard a faint sound outside my window.

I rushed to it to see just the little garden and the black sky, nothing else. It sounded like someone who deserves zero stealth points.

Or?

They wanted me to hear that. Was it the same man? I know they're probably doing this to make me feel disquieted.

But why?

I went to my bed and calmed my nerves. It took some time but eventually, I drifted off.

...

I saw the cottage again. It was a clear day. The sun was up and the cottage looked absolutely lovely. It was colored in dark brown and orange tones which made it stand out in the serene green fields. I stood there waiting.

Who was I waiting for?

I just knew someone was going to make their way towards me. I knew I'd see them from miles away because it was just me and the cottage here. I walked towards the cottage. Might as well wait inside.

"Raynhildur"

The voice called out to me in a mere whisper. I stopped and looked around yet I knew it was pointless because the voice came from inside the cottage.

As I neared the cottage I couldn't hear anything again besides the soft howling of the wind. I touched the handle of the door and it burned. It burned through my hand and caused me to scream out loud.

I woke up holding my hand to my chest. The cottage and peaceful field gone. But the burning sensation remained.

I have seen this cottage many times in my dreams. I know it is an object of my imagination which represents my state of being. Along with the sky, the grass. These dreams tell me how I feel but never have I felt something like this. A feeling of foreboding came over me as I looked at my hand, the burning sensation now gone.

...

Ever since my wolf has stopped responding I have been unable to shift and feel as vulnerable as a child lost in a forest. I still go out for runs sometimes though, it calms me down and helps take my mind off things.

I checked the time on the wall clock on the opposite wall and smiled.

Better hurry.

I got out of bed and washed my face quickly. I put on my McCartney's and left the building, heading towards the main road that has luscious forests on both sides.

Once there, I turned right where the sky was lighter than the rest. I started running, the feeling exhilarating.

I ran a couple of minutes with the cold air biting against my exposed skin, till I reached a small cliff that looked over another stretch of forest disappearing to the horizon.

Made it just in time.

The sky went from dark to light as the sun rose and lit up the tiny dew drops on the leaves of the trees, emulating diamonds on the green landscape in front of me. The sudden warmth felt like a welcome blanket.

I wonder if I'd ever get tired of this.

The wind came from the north and brought with it the masculine sweet scent of musk. This time, it was strong.

He is here.

I immediately started running towards the familiar scent. My mate is here. Can he sense me too?

The scent was strong one moment and then gone the other. I kept running around the forest trying to hold onto his scent for as long as I could but, I knew he was gone.

The feeling of loneliness enveloped me again as I tried to push away the thoughts I've had for the past three years in vain.

If I can sense him, he probably knew I was here too. Then why couldn't I find him?

Did he run away from me?