5 - Fimmti

Thursday came all too quickly. I came home after my classes, thankfully I had just three, all of which were done before lunchtime.

I was done with my afternoon shift soon enough and went home to take a nap.

I had probably just fallen asleep when I heard my phone ring. It was Starke.

"Hey," I said in a sleepy voice.

I could only hear his breathing on the other end.

"Starke, you there?" I said clearing my throat a little.

"Yeah, hey hi" he said quickly and I could practically feel his nervousness through the phone.

"What's up? All good?"

"Yeah I'm sorry I didn't know you were asleep."

"No it's okay how would you, anyway?" I laughed. He didn't reply to that either.

What's gotten into him?

I heard him sigh on the other end and then he said, "I just thought I'd remind you about tonight. I really hope you can make it."

"Of course. I'll be there."

"If you want I'll come pick you up?"

I smiled at his sweet gesture. He shouldn't try so hard.

"I'll be alright Starke. Thank you." I said softly.

"Well okay then. I'll see you at 7." I could hear the disappointment in his voice.

I hung up and checked the time. It's 4 pm.

Loads of time.

I went back to sleep.

...

I woke up and checked my phone.
The first thing I see is two missed calls from Starke.

The second is the time. 7:23 pm.

My eyes went wide as I rushed out of bed.

How did I not hear those calls?

You can be one hell of a deep sleeper Rayne.

I quickly freshened myself up and changed into a flowy pastel blue georgette top and black skinny jeans. I knew I didn't have any time for make up so I just made sure my face was clean and my handy mascara and glitter balm were in my purse. I rushed to book a cab and called Starke.

"Hey Rayne."

"Hey Starke. I'm sorry I didn't take your calls, I was a little busy."

Busy snoring.

"It's okay." He laughs as if he knew what I was up to. "You know where to find me?"

"Not really, could you send to me your location?"

"Yeah I'll send it right away. Though it's not very far from your place. You'll find it easily."

He knows where I live?

As if sensing what he just said he mumbled, "I'll see you soon," and hung up before I could say anything.

Okay Rayne, don't jump to conclusions. He lives close by and probably saw you getting into your building sometime before.

I never always talked to myself this much. I just started ever since my wolf stopped responding to me a while ago. She was close to me and her absence makes me feel lonlier than I have ever felt. I know she's still there though.

Or at least, I hope she is.

...

The cab pulled up in front of Starke's house. I paid the driver and got out.

There were a few cars parked outside the modern-looking and humble home. It was white with black tinted windows. I knew he lived with his parents at their packhouse and this was a property they used for small get-togethers like this. He told me one day about it.

I put on my mascara and balm and made sure my hair looked okay. I had just brushed it and left it natural.

I walked up to the front door but it opened before I could even ring the doorbell. The boy at the door was tall and lean with hair dyed dark blue and he had tattoos along his neck.

He crossed his arms, leaned against the doorway, and then looked at me with a contemplating expression. I looked back at him.

"Hi, I'm Rayne."

He didn't move an inch as he looked at me intensely and said, "You're a dyrith."

My eyes widened at his words. Not many people that I have met are able to figure out that I am a dyrith. My scent is of a regular werewolf and nothing about my physical appearance is significant, well, except-

"Your eyes."