6 - Sjötta

"Are you half Faery?" he asked coming a bit closer. He touched my cheek softly then pushed my hair behind my ear.

"No pointy ears. Probably no folded wings either," he mumbled to himself and looked closer as if deciphering the code written on my face.

"Umm, no. May I come in?" I asked, smiling at him awkwardly and trying to get away.

He raised an eyebrow at me as he looked at my eyes unabashedly.

My eyes are the color of champagne. They can be rose gold at their deepest, and almost silver in the sun. I've never seen or heard of anyone who had an eye color like this. Maybe I'm just special.

You'd like to think that, wouldn't you?

I sighed at my own thoughts and peeped behind this boy to look for Starke. He came just in time rushing from the kitchen when he heard my voice.

"Rayne! I didn't hear you ring the bell. When did you get here?" He said pushing the blue-haired boy out of the way.

He motioned for me to come in and I did.

"I see you've met Carson" he said, pointing to Mr. Blue.

I nodded and walked towards the living room where Starke's friends sat on the couches watching a movie on tv.

"Starke what's taking so long!" I heard a girl's voice.

She peeped over the couch to look for him. I knew her. Jordyn and I had a class together.

"I'm starvi-"

She stopped when she saw me walking towards them with Starke and Carson. Her eyes turned to slits as she eyed me.

Apparently her silence is unheard of as the others turned towards us to see what made her go quiet. I saw the few familiar faces of Starke's friends. The atmosphere was suddenly tense. I hated this.

"Guys, this is Rayne. Rayne, these are my friends," introduced Starke.

I smiled at everyone with as much confidence I could muster under their calculating gazes.

One of them, a muscular guy with light brown hair, who I'd never seen before, got up from his chair and walked over to me.

"I'm Sven. Nice to meet you." He said with a brilliant smile and I seemed to like him already.

He took my hand and made his way to the single couch where he was sitting. I could sense Starke stiffen at his kind gesture. I sat there as he sat on the armrest.

He pointed to everyone and introduced them to me. There were two girls and three boys sitting around.

"This is Alpha Kye and his mate, Sesilia. That's Beta Wyatt, Jordyn and this is Hayes, Carson's twin," he said pointing to the last boy sitting on the carpet leaning against the couch. I smiled at everyone. Jordyn looked at Starke and said, "I didn't know we were having random rogues over."

Sven stiffened beside me. Starke looked at her with a pleading look.

Kye looked at me and said, "We don't consider the Liet as our enemies. Not all of them are what you perceive them to be, Jordyn." He gave her a stern look.

"And besides, you get along with Sven just fine."

Sven smirked at her.

"Yeah Jordyn. You get along with me just fine."

Sesilia snorted and I laughed as everyone joined me while Jordyn turned red and threw a cushion at Sven which he effortlessly caught.

"Sven isn't a part of our pack. He belongs to the Liet band close to our packlands. But he's a good friend and the best fighter I've ever seen," Wyatt says to me.

I felt happier to see that they're opening up to me.

"Well, I don't belong to any Liet bands, though. I live on my own," I said.

"On your own?" I heard Sesilia's shocked voice.

I smiled at her weakly. It's almost unheard of in the werewolf world to live alone. It's considered extremely dangerous yet I know that for me, danger lies with my pack.

Hayes turned the tv off and turned back to look at me intensely.

Does he know too?

Carson sat beside him on the plush carpet just as Starke brought out two steaming deep-dish pizzas that made my mouth water.

"Did you make these by yourself?" I said staring at the pizzas a bit too intently.

"Yes," he replied. I could see a blush rising on Starke's cheeks which unfortunately for him didn't go unnoticed.

"She's in love with the pizza, not you, you asś," Sven said in a mocking tone and laughed.

I felt so awkward at the moment as Starke placed the first slice on the plate and handed it to me.

"I'm sure you weren't born without a pack. What happened?" Wyatt asked me, clearly intrigued.

"Well,"

Should I tell them? I just met them.

"I was raised in a pack in Iceland by a woman who found me as an infant, in the packlands."

Maybe I can earn their trust by telling them. But not all of it.

"So you never knew your parents?" Kye asked.

"No," I replied. Starke looked at me apologetically. He knew my story. At least some of it.

"Why did you leave?" Hayes asked.

He had a sweet deep voice which would make any girl feel happy to hear. He seemed very different from his brother. I could make out a few physical similarities, but they had completely different personalities.

It was his question that put me in thought.

What would I say? I ran away? Like a coward who couldn't face their own damn fate?

Starke got up and held my hand and I realized my eyes were glossy. Sven smirked and snatched my plate, taking a bite of my pizza.

"Hey!" I said.

You cannot and I mean, cannot steal a girl's food. I could have hurt this guy really bad, but that would probably just blow my chances of finally making some friends.

And he'd probably not go down that easy either.

Starke handed me another slice as he smiled at me with care and another emotion I could not place.

Is it pity?

"Have you considered joining a pack Rayne?" Sesilia asked me. I'm sure she would be a great Luna.

I looked at her and Kye and smiled.

"I don't think that would be a very good idea."

"Why not? Because you have your criminal activities to get back to?" Jordyn says.

Kye glared at her but didn't say anything. I know what they're all thinking. They can't trust me the way Starke probably does. I can't tell them why I left and why I don't identify with any parties. I'm a lone wolf and they're considered the most dangerous.

I sighed and looked at her.

"No Jordyn. I am not a criminal. In fact I'm far from it. I didn't want to live away from my pack and family, but my life has been quite a roller-coaster and it just won't stop. So here I am, trying to get my life back together," I forced out the last bit.

She scowled at me but everyone else just looked at me with what I would consider close to sympathy.

"I'm fine really, it's no big deal," I told them, giving them my best smile.

No big deal indeed.