34 - þrjátíu og Fjórir

Anxiety is probably my worst enemy since forever and now it's taking a toll on me. All this new added information is doing nothing to ease it or make it go away.

I wish Sven was with me there instead of Bayo, but I now understand why it has to be us two and no one else. I don't even know if I could have avoided this situation all together if I hadn't said that I'd do anything in exchange for Sven's life.

I guess this would be moulded into a surprise part-3 of the initiation anyway. So much for "you did this to yourself".

Regardless, I'd resigned myself to the sofa in Sven's room to try and control my frustration. He said we'd be going to my place to get the things I'd need.

That's great news because although I had texted Brooks about not being able to make it to work, I felt guilty about just up and leaving, so I'd wanna go to Milano's and try to explain the situation as best as I can.

Sven was in the kitchen making some coffee by the electric kettle.

"We'll leave in a few hours, so you need to be ready by then," he said, pouring out the hot water.

"Want some?" he asked me holding a steaming cup in front of him.

"Yeah thanks," I said. "So, how are we getting there? Is it going to be just Bayo and me?" I asked.

He handed me a cup of coffee and sat opposite me.

"No. It'll be too dangerous to let you two go out on your own. Not everyone takes kindly to the Liet. Even we move in packs. You, Bayo, Jasper, May, Uriah, and I are going to be traveling together most of the way, just a little far from the borders of Gealach Fala pack, Fala for short. From there you'll be on your own. You need to understand that you can't trust anyone there. Not even Bayo, because he is still part of this Liet band. Give little information and try to get as much as possible," he said.

"Easier said than done," I said in a small voice.

"If you ever feel unsafe, or in trouble, reach out to me. I don't mean the call-me-up kind, but through the bond. You know you can," he said, and that very second a sense of dread seeped through me and the source of it sat on the sofa across from me.

"Why're you so tense?" I asked him.

"It still is risky," he said, sighing. I guess it was my turn to comfort him.

I did as he told me to, and reached out to him through the pack bond. But instead of fear, I tried to push my feelings of strength through to him.

As I did, he looked up to me sensing that I'm not afraid, not anymore.

"I was one of the best warriors at Fathilagt, I have no reason to fear. And neither do you," I told him, my anxiety pushed back into a tiny crevice in my mind.

Although these words were to comfort him, they comforted me too. I knew I shouldn't feel over-confident though. My skills aren't as sharp as they used to be, I didn't have Ima by my side, and me against an entire pack with a name as ambiguous as Benadryl Cucumberpatch, I still won't stand a chance.

But it's good to feel strong, and know that I won't go down without a fight.

...

It was late in the afternoon when we had assembled in the arena to leave.

A small group had stood next to a black car. The group Sven had mentioned earlier along with Jedrek, Bryony, Agatha, Nove and Alessio were huddled and talking. There were a few more people whose names I didn't know.

"I have explained everything to May, she'll help you understand exactly what you need to do at every point of the way. Jasper will be there in case of any medical emergencies, and I am sure the rest of you can fight if need be," I heard Nove say, her gaze turning to me at the end.