40 - Fjörutíu

A condition?

"As the Gamma of the pack, I lead the warriors of Fala into battle whenever need be. And in all my years of training, I have seen nothing like Liet combat," said Fraser.

I could feel Bayo panicking through the bond. He was not prepared for this.

"I will assemble my best warriors, and I want you to teach it to them, under my supervision of course," he continued.

"With all due respect, Gamma, we've been sent as negotiators from our band, not warriors," he said trying to sustain the deal without having to go through this.

Gamma Fraser now turned to me.

"Even your mate? Mr. Zivai?" he asked him, but looked at me for an answer.

"Fuck. He can tell you're a warrior," Bayo said through the bond.

Ima was swelling with pride. As Bayo and Fraser both looked at me expectantly, I realized it was my turn to speak.

"Just say no," Bayo said.

"Okay," was all I could manage, ignoring Bayo. He was looking at me like I was crazy while Fraser seemed pleased.

"But I don't need your best warriors. In fact, I'll need your weakest and least disciplined," I said to Gamma Fraser.

"What are you playing at?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Seriously Rayne. Stop. We're getting sidetracked," Bayo was screaming through the link now.

"We will talk tactics on the training field. If this is your condition to allow us to stay till the meeting, we accept," I said.

Fraser was now looking at me. Actually looking at me.

I wasn't here to give Bayo company. If this is how I prove my worth, so be it.

...

Bayo and I were shown a guest room in the pack building. There were three other guest rooms being set up, which I assumed were for the representatives of the other packs coming for the meeting.

It was a modest room on the ground floor, furnished with a small cupboard, a coffee table in front of a loveseat, and a large double bed in the center of it.

As Bayo closed the door behind him, he turned to me. He seemed angry, but was trying to keep his composure.

"Have you lost your mind?" he asked me, dangerously calm.

"We had to stay till the meeting. This was a condition, we had to say yes," I replied, just as cool.

"I was still negotiating," he said.

He sat on the bed, pinching the top of his nose. I took the seat near the coffeetable to look directly at him.

"Bayo, why is this such a big deal?" I asked him.

"I don't trust them," he said.

"You don't trust them? With what?" I asked.

"I don't trust them with you. What if they hurt you?" he said, the concern on his face, genuine.

I scoffed.

"Why'd they do that?" I asked him.

"We're Liet band members. Packs hate us! We may be useful to the higher-ups here but the common folk don't know that! What if they use the proximity to take advantage?" he said.

"Are you hearing yourself? If I'm to train them, I'll be in charge. And it's just three days, not boot camp," I said, incredulous.

"You aren't even fully initiated yet. How will you possibly train warriors in 'Liet' combat?" he asked.

"I've traveled my fair share in the past few years as a rogue and have learned how to protect myself against all kinds of enemies," I told him. "Bayo, I got this."

I saw him just shaking his head.

"We need to be very careful around these people Rayne. They may not have the best intentions for us," he said.

"What does it matter to you anyway? You're going to leave me behind if they don't let us go," I said.

He walked up from his place and sat near me on the loveseat. He placed his hand on my leg, and I was itching to remove it. I let it go, as I didn't want to seem awkward.

"I'll do my best to take you with me. And if they don't let me, I'll kidnap you," he said.

I let out a laugh. He smiled too.

"I won't leave you behind Rayne," he said.

I got up from the seat before things got any weirder.

"I'm gonna go take a shower. Why don't you go find us something to eat?" I asked him, reaching my bag to pull out some fresh clothes.

"I'd rather join you," I heard him say from behind me.

I stopped doing what I was doing and turned around to see him, dead serious.

And then he cracked an almost-smile.

"If I had to woo you, I wouldn't be that cliche," he said, his smile turning into a laugh.

I sighed with relief.

"Good. Or else I'd punch him in the face," said Ima. I just laughed and walked into the washroom.

...

Once I was done taking a shower and finally felt clean, I walked out to find a shirtless Bayo sitting on the edge of the bed, eating from a tray of food and going through his phone.

I felt a little uncomfortable with his half-naked form, although he was actually quite good-looking.

"Why thank you," he said in my mind.

My hand immediately went to the pendant around my neck.

"How do I shut you out?" I asked him, taking my tray of food to the coffee table.

"You can't," he said, plainly.

"Of course I can. I can just take the pendant off," I said.

He turned to face me and looked me right in the eye.

"That's the one thing you're not allowed to do."