22 - Tuttugu og Tveir

Sven came back inside with a tray of food that smelled absolutely delicious. I guess when you're really hungry, anything edible will excite you.

He placed the tray of toast, two fried eggs, a bowl of what looked like soup, and a tall glass of orange juice on the side table between the single beds, and proceeded to help me sit up.

It was still pretty painful, but the feeling was subdued. However my ear did feel like it would fall off if I don't hold it.

I tried to ignore the feeling as I tried to make myself comfortable before Sven placed the tray in front of me.

I immediately started to eat and let me tell you, butter on toast is really underrated.

"The soup was leftover from last night's dinner. It was really good so I thought I'd save some for you," Sven said.

Is it just me, or does this guy have multiple personalities?

"Thanks Sven. It really is good," I said with my mouth full.

"Brute," he said rolling his eyes.

"Stop saying that! I'm like a delicate little flower!" I exclaimed. I can be gentle if I wanted to.

If I wanted to.

He just smiled at me and looked out the window. I followed his gaze to see a few Liet members, that I didn't recognize, sparring.

"Was everyone at my first test last night?" I asked him as I ate.

He looked at me. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, was everyone from the Liet at the arena yesterday? In attendance?" I asked again.

I could tell by his new expression that he was going to enjoy not telling me something, again.

"Why do you ask?" he said.

If my mate was from the Liet, I'm sure he wasn't going to tell me, or else he would have already. But what if my mate was an intruder? Shouldn't Sven know?

"I think someone broke into this room last night," I decided to say.

"Broke into? What do you mean?" his demeanor had changed. Maybe he didn't know about this?

"I could smell somebody. Someone different."

"Someone different?" he said, raising an eyebrow.

"I mean, not from the Liet. A different scent I didn't smell at the arena."

"So this scent stood out to you?" he said carefully.

I could tell where he was heading with this so I immediately said, "No, not really. It was just different, a scent I couldn't recognize."

Yeah right.

"Everyone was at the arena Rayne. It's compulsory for all Liet members to attend an initiation," he said.

I sighed. "Maybe it was a trick of my mind. I was sedated, right?" I thought it would be better to drop it. I didn't want to start discussing my personal life with Sven, especially when he hasn't given me any information.

He just looked out the window again. His eyes gazed a little too intently on the pane this time.

"Sven," I called out to him quietly. He looked at me. His gaze had turned soft.

"I need to know what is going on. Why are you here?" I asked.

"This is where I live," he said.

"Why are you here? In my life? Out of the blue?" I asked him.

He kept quiet for a few seconds, as if sensing the aura around us.

"I've been entrusted with your safety," he said.

I looked at him expectantly.

"What?" he asked, incredulous.

I opened my eyes a bit wider, and glared at him.

He sighed with a smile and looked at his lap. "You need me to tell you everything?"

"Bingo," I whispered, my eyes now turned to slits.

He got up and closed the door before retaking his place near my bed. He sighed again and looked at his hand as he talked.

"Jedrek has been in talks with the Palace. They're looking for someone. They have been for quite some time.

"Two other parties tried to capture them but failed. Jedrek has really picked up our band from nothing to one of the strongest and most formidable Liet in the entire region. Which is why, although he is not our leader, he is our representative.

"He's intent on doing the Palace's dirty work to gain favor from them. But I have other information that they're looking for you."

"Me?" I asked, in shock. Out of all the people in the world.

"I have no idea what it is they want from you, or why they've been hunting you for so long," he said.

Tears came into my eyes as this information confirmed my suspicions about the attack on Fathilagt.

I wish I knew too.