21 - Tuttugu og Einn

I woke up to see the infirmary empty. It was difficult to keep my eyes open in the bright lights, but I got used to them in a few minutes.

My body was sore but I felt much better. My back had healed and I could feel a couple of stitches close to the top of my ear.

It was light outside, but I didn't know what time it was. I looked around and saw my bag on a chair near the window. Someone probably put it there for me from the car.

I pushed my legs towards the side of the bed and started to walk towards my bag.

I had taken two steps and I fell to floor with a loud thud. Pain shot through my spine as I couldn't even find the strength to get back up.

I saw Bryony rush into the room, she looked absolutely terrified.

She was immediately at my side and helped me get back to the bed. She was gesturing to me frantically with what I assumed was anger.

I saw Sven come in a few moments later. Bryony and Sven talked in sign language and soon enough, Sven was wording everything she was trying to say to me.

"What were you trying to do? You do realize that you're not okay yet?" he asked angrily.

"My bag," I said pointing towards it behind them.

"What?" he said.

Apparently Bryony understood and brought my bag to me. I took it happily and pulled out a chocolate bar.

"You got out of bed, for that?" he said. I could see Bryony looked amused now.

Isn't food everyone else's top priority?

"I'm starving," I said.

He pulled the bar out of my hands before I could open it.

"I've had enough of you stealing my food Sven!" I practically screamed at him.

He put it back in my bag and handed it to me. "I'm getting you proper food, Rayne."

And my kitkat wasn't 'proper'?

My stomach was growling now and I was feeling faint again. Sven got up without a word and left the room, leaving me with Bryony.

I wish I knew sign language. It wouldn't be so awkward with her.

She took out her phone and started typing into it. Before I could come to a conclusion as to why she was suddenly texting, she handed it to me to read.

"It's okay if you don't understand sign language. You can talk to me like this."

It was written on her notes application, and her initiative made me feel warm inside.

"Thanks. You have a beautiful name." I typed in. I couldn't come up with anything better to say.

She smiled at me. And then her face turned a bit more serious.

"Is Sven your mate?"

"No. He isn't."

"I don't understand it. Sven was so intent on bringing you here. I thought he was your mate. I mean, Jed wanted you here too but, everyone knew what he really wanted, including Sven. He still brought you here to stay with us."

He told me there was more to me being here than just joining a band of rogues. He said it was to keep me safe.

"I don't know what Sven wants. He just said that he wants me to be safe."

"That's what he told me too. But safe from what? And I had never even heard of you until a while back. Do you have any other connection to him?"

"No. I don't."

That got me thinking. How is it that this random stranger just found me and had the sudden urge to protect me from the unknown?

And how is it that, even though I had never seen him before the first time at Starke's, I feel this weird connection to him?

Bryony was looking towards the empty beds beside me, as if deep in thought. I typed into her phone again.

"I don't know what he wants exactly but, I need to know if I should trust him."

I trust him. I don't know why, but I do. I just need a second opinion.

"He was here when I joined this band after I met Jasper. And that was a very long time ago. In all these years that I've known him, he's only proved himself a trustworthy man."

I sighed in relief and smiled at her.

"Thank you," I mouthed to her.

She held my hand in hers and smiled at me.

She typed something into her phone and handed it to me again.

"We'll take care of you."

And just like that, for the first time in five years, I felt safe.