17 - Sautjánda

"The Palace? I don't understand," I said.

"Trust me, I don't either," he said looking at the ceiling.

"What do you mean 'you don't understand?' Who told you all this? And what do the Elders have anything to do with me? And how are you so sure that they want to harm me?" I asked, absolutely exasperated.

"Woah woah woah. You seriously need to chill, Rayne," he said, receiving an angry glare from me.

"Chill? Chill? Are you serious?" I  said.

"Okay fine, don't chill. But I don't have the answers you want. Just liste-"

"Then who does?"

"What?"

"Then who has the answers?" I asked softly.

He looked a little shocked like he said something he shouldn't have that has led to this question.

"You won't tell me this either?" I asked.

He just looked away and turned to put his palms on the table, hung his head down low and sighed.

"Patience. That's all I ask of you Rayne," he said. "As of now, I need you to successfully go through the Dwelling initiation. It's not much, just a custom we have here which you'll walk through easily, you won't have any-" he finally stopped talking to find my icy expression shooting daggers at him.

"What? You thought you could just walk in here and become a Liet member?" he asked, his usual smirk now returning.

"Yes! Yes I did! What's with this 'initiation'?" I asked.

"If it was up to Jedrek, you wouldn't have to pass the initiation tests. But here, it's the people's word. And there have been incidents in the past where spies of the Palace or bigger packs have joined the Liet for information," he said. "Another reason why we have the Dwelling Initiation is because it's difficult to survive out here. Resources are tight and we have already enough mouths to feed. If you can't contribute to the Liet, we can't have you."

"And what if I lose on purpose?" I asked.

"I'm not too worried about that. You're observant enough about people to know that I am not a liar. You need to stay with us, at least for a while. And," he turned around to face me and gave me a wide smile.

"And what?" I asked, my patience wearing thin.

"And," he said coming towards me. He bent and flicked my nose like I was a small child.

"You're too proud to lose, brute," he said laughing.

...

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"To your first test," he said.

We were heading behind the buildings to what seemed like an arena.

"And what might that be?" I asked him.

His face turned solemn.

He sighed. "I wish I could say that you don't have to do this, but you do. It shouldn't be too hard for you, though," he said confidently, but his eyes gave away the slightest fear.

I had told myself I'd do this before I even came here. I shouldn't back down now.

The company from the previous room stood at the edge of the plain area in addition to about twenty or so more people. They were all talking amongst themselves but when they saw us approaching, a quiet fell upon them.

"Your first step into this initiation is to test your physical capabilities and contribution to our Liet band," Sven said loud enough for everyone to hear.

"The aim of this will be to steal an object from each opponent in anyway possible," he continued. I raised my eyebrows at this.

What?

"You will be up against three of our best fighters who are similar to your height and build," he said addressing the three people who came forward from the crowd.

There were two strong-looking girls and a tall teenage boy. Their faces didn't show much emotion at all.

"The object will be on their person and," he said looking at me in the eyes, "you will have to get all three objects while in combat with them, together."

What?!

I don't know if I can do that. I haven't fought anybody in ages. This is ridiculous.

And come to think of it, they did look pretty intimidating.

"Whenever you're ready," he said, looking away.

I can do this. I can do this. I can do this.

My mind-chant was interrupted by the gruff voice of Jedrek.

"You don't have to do this, Rayne," he said, looking at me almost maliciously.

What.

I could hear a few gasps from around the people.

"There's always another way. We don't want your beautiful body getting scratched up now do we?" he said.

I could feel anger boiling inside me.

But it was nothing compared to the aura of rage that was emanating from Sven.

"All you have to do is follow me back to my-"

"No!" Sven screamed with anger.

He was standing in front of me now, shielding me from Jedrek's sight, his arm bent around me protectively.

"She will fight," he said leaving no room for discussion. I realized what Jedrek was suggesting and it disgusted me.

I was suddenly too shy and didn't want to do this anymore. Not with his perverted eyes on me.

Sven turned around and gave me an intense look. "You need to do this Rayne. This should be a piece of cake for you. I know you'll kick ass," he said, obviously trying to lighten me up so I could concentrate on the task ahead.

I really can't let a man be the cause of my weakness. He's pathetic but I'm not.

I'm strong, and I can do this.