20

"I want to go to the park," Newt said, looking out the coffee shop window. It was a Thursday.

"It's too sunny," I said.

"You're kidding." Newt looked at me like I had grown a thick gray cloud over my head. His eyes were narrowed. "We could not be more different."

He looked like a disappointed puppy. He slouched in his seat, glancing longingly outdoors. If he were a dog, his ears would have sagged.

"Let's go," I said with a sigh. I chugged the remainder of my drink and began to stand.

"Already? We just got here." Newt was still just a little bit gloomy.

"I thought you said you wanted to go to the park." I raised an eyebrow.

Newt perked up immediately. "Really? Like right now?"

"No, let's go back in time so that we can go yesterday." I rolled my eyes. "Let's go."

Newt's mood did a complete one-eighty. He stood excitedly, knocking into the table, spilling his coffee, and sending his chair clattering to the ground. He enthusiastically began to clean up his mess before he straightened up and slapped a hand to his forehead. "Wait! I have to pick up my brother!"

"Okay, then let's go get him," I said impatiently.

"Really?"

"I'm going to hit you if you say that again."

"And then we'll all go to the park?"

"That's what I implied, isn't it?"

"I could kiss you right now."

"How about you just pay for my coffee."

Newt smiled at me like I had just saved the world and hurried to the counter to pay our bill. I watched him, fighting a smile, ignoring the swoop in my stomach at the lighthearted mention of a kiss.