35

We had to wait for my dad to arrive, so we decided to wait on the stairs out front. I could just barely hear the loud music from indoors but most of my attention was aimed at fighting away Newt's frisky hands. He was still giggling lightly and my concern for him was seriously starting to grow; he was going to owe me at least a week's worth of coffee for this.

"You're such a good friend, Tommy," Newt said. His hand landed on my thigh again so I picked it up and placed it back in his lap. "I trust you like...like...well, you know."

"Right," I replied dryly. I glanced at my watch.

"You're so good to me," he sighed. He put his head on my shoulder. "I don't know why though."

"Because you're good to me," I justified. His head lolled and he sighed dramatically.

"I lie to you too much," Newt said. Now my attention was caught, so I looked down at him in surprise.

"You do?" I asked. I was frowning now.

Newt's head lolled, and then he straightened himself up. He started humming to himself. I thought maybe that was as much as I was going to get out of him.

"Can I tell you another secret?" He asked, attention turning fully to me. My mouth gaped, and I wasn't totally sure I was willing to let him spill any more when he wasn't conscious of what he was saying.

Before I could shake my head though, he started to speak again. "Remember when I broke my ribs?" He asked. How could I forget? He leaned closer again to whisper, but unlike last time there wasn't any humor in the air. I could tell he was about to be serious, and that scared me. "I didn't fall down the stairs."

His face was horribly serious. I stared at him silently, too afraid to move, breathe, say anything at all. I wanted him to continue, but at the same time I didn't.

"What happened then?" I finally broke.

Newt's gaze returned to me innocently.

"My mom pushed me down the stairs," he said.