38

We took my dad's car. It was silent the entire ride.

When I pulled up in front of Newt's house, he was deathly pale. He whitened even more when his eyes landed on his front porch, where his aunt and another, older woman sat together waiting.

"Thanks," he murmured distractedly, already getting out.

I stopped him by grabbing his wrist. He turned to me, and although I didn't say anything, he seemed to understand. Some of the color in his face returned.

"I'm safe, Thomas," he said lowly. He smiled reassuringly at me. "I promise."

He had never broken a promise before, so I had no reason to believe he would now. I watched him leave.

I idled for another few seconds in his driveway, just long enough to watch his aunt say something to him--not angrily, but certainly not calmly--before he knelt down in front of the other woman. It was then that I noticed she had not moved an inch since we had pulled up, did not show any sign of life or movement when Newt bent down in front of her. Her blonde hair was pulled back in a messy ponytail, and her features were soft, and familiar, and vacant. She didn't meet Newt's eyes as he spoke gently to her, didn't blink, didn't show any signs of recognition, maybe didn't even hear. Her eyes were glued to the ground. She looked like the shell of a woman.

Newt glanced back at me as I started to reverse, and my every instinct screamed at me to stay. His face, however, told me it was better that I left.