34

I decided to go to our winter formal, but only because Newt had asked if I was going. I was too chicken to ask him, so instead we agreed to meet up there. I was dressed in a nice dress shirt with a pair of matching slacks, and I had spent far too long styling my hair. I even put on chapstick, just in case.

But then my car broke down.

I had to get a lift from my dad, but only because I was determined to not blow Newt off. I texted him numerous times only to receive no response.

By the time I got dropped off at the doors, I was over forty minutes late. I hurried into the large gymnasium, keeping my eyes peeled for a happy Newt. Turns out, I didn't have to.

"Tommy!" He exclaimed, jumping out of the crowd of dancing bodies. I only had a second to take in how good he looked all dressed up before he was pouncing on me, smashing his lips against mine.

"Mmph--" came out as our lips collided, but I could already taste the alcohol on his lips and the sloppy way he was kissing me. This kiss was nothing like our first, which had been slow, and careful, and kind. This was rough and sloppy and I think he bit my lip.

I pulled away. "You're so drunk," I said, fighting a laugh as he stumbled and slumped into my arms.

"Maybe a teensy-tiny bit," he said, holding up his forefinger and thumb an inch apart. He started to giggle then, attaching his lips to my exposed collarbone.

"Woah, there tiger," I said, laughing now. I pushed him away again but kept hold of his arm to steady him.

"Who brought alcohol?" I asked as he began singing along to the song blaring in the room.

He shrugged, dancing drunkenly in front of me. "It was in the punch, I think," he yelled. I winced because he was only a foot away.

The song changed to a much slower, sultry song. It was something that should have been played at a strip club, not at a high school dance. Newt's eyes darkened as they latched on mine.

I tried to take a step back but he grabbed me by the hips and pulled me forward with strength I didn't know he had. His lips searched for mine again but this time I turned my head so he started to kiss my cheek instead. He made a small sound of disappointment before he turned around, pressing his back against me soundly. Then, to my immediate horror, he started to grind on me.

"Oh, Jesus Christ," I groaned, grabbing his hips to try and stop his movements. "You just had to be a slutty drunk, didn't you?"

Newt's giggles were loud and contagious, and I found myself laughing with him as I tried to untangle myself from him. He eventually turned in my arms, linking his own around my neck. He started to sway in a sort of drunken slow dance. I couldn't really dance as it was, but with Newt stepping on my feet every two seconds, it wasn't long before we were crashing into the people around us.

"Sorry," I apologized to an also drunk couple for what seemed like the millionth time. Newt swept in and pressed another kiss to my lips but I pulled away, shaking my head.

"Can I tell you a secret?" Newt asked. He stopped moving and his laughter finally faded. I raised an eyebrow and nodded.

He leaned into my ear and whispered seriously, "I really like Thomas, but don't tell him, okay?"

He pulled back to look at me with wide eyes. I snorted, ignoring the blush working its way up my face. "Oh, you're going to hate me tomorrow," I laughed.

As Newt tried to kiss me again, I finally decided that perhaps he had had enough. "Give me your phone," I ordered, pulling away from him.

He smiled at me and had enough sense to ask, "why?"

"I'm texting your aunt to tell her you're staying at my house tonight," I said as I typed in his passcode. My fingers flew across the screen as I typed in the message. After I hit send, I put his phone in my back pocket.

"And now I'm taking you home," I finished, grabbing his hand. He stumbled after me as his giggles came back in full force.

He stopped me at the exit, spinning me around. His fingers crept up my chest and inside my collar as he leaned heavily against me. Rosy pink lips brushed my ear as he whispered heavily, "You don't think it's too soon?"

"Wha--Newt!" I exclaimed. His lips attached to my neck. "That's not--oh, fuck this--"

I grabbed him by the arm, hauling him out of the room and to the front entrance of the school.